Preparing physically

I am wondering..when they say "be able to lift 200lsb with only one person's assistance" how are they talking lifting the weight? Someone on a backboard from the ground to the lowest stretcher height? Waist height?

I know I'm somewhat out of shape and a little overweight, but knowing I'm starting medic classes in August has me focused on strengthening and getting in shape and bringing my weight down. I just am wondering if there is anything I should focus on when I'm in the gym or what.

Thanks!

There are darn few people here who could and should not put a continuing focus on improving their physical conditioning. Certainly not me. So yes, you should make this a priority starting today.

Most people would tell you to focus on upper body strength. This is far from good advice. The first thing they teach you in body mechanics class is to lift with your legs! Therfore, the upper and lowr are at least equally important. And neither of them will do you any good if you are so out of breath from the 200 metre walk with all of your equipment that you can't barely stay on your feet. Consequently, cardio conditioning is also equally important.

Total fitness. That is the answer. And you aren't going to achieve it in 30 minutes a day, even if that is 7 days a week, so get serious. Good luck!

Dust: +10 points! Another good post from you as I would expect. Total fitness is the right path.

Functional fitness is another term heard out there as well. Im in a military unit where functional fitness is everything. On any given day we may march for miles with heavy packs,limb mountains climb ladders climb up ropes and slide down them, swim, kick doors down, break glass and window frames with hooligan tools, carry wounded people on litters or using the ever popular fireman's carry...all this and we must be ready to engage any enemy threat or treat wounded patients exhausted or not.

Focus on endurance and not a quick use of strength to lift a patient with. You wont regret getting in shape. Good luck to you. Pm me if there is anything I can do to help

Somedic

A Functional Fitness/Functional Strength program is definitely what you want to go for IMHO. You didn't give us much information about your current gym routine so it's hard to say what you should stick with and what you should change.

I believe that compound exercises (i.e., those which recruit multiple body parts to perform) are a great way to build functional strength. Exercises of this type (squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc) are performed with free weights rather than machines and can actually give you a pretty good cardio workout as well (not to say that standard cardio work should be omitted from a good program). With a solid compound exercise program you will improve yourself in many areas, including ones that are especially important in EMS such as a strong back and gripping power.

Learning the right way to perform these exercises is very important. Most gyms have an ample supply of dumbells, barbells, cages, etc for this type of work but many do not have trainers that are really knowledgeable about this type of exercise. You may need to go to a local University, etc to find someone that can teach you the proper form and technique (Strength training coaches, etc). Many of these exercises are part (or variants) of power lifting or olympic lifting programs; try to find someone familiar with this type of exercise and have them show you some of the basics.

Now is a great time to start a functional strength training workout program. By the time your class begins in August you will have built up a decent foundation on which you can continue to improve throughout your schooling and career.

Good luck!

-Trevor

Thanks! Up until the beginning of this month, I've been pretty sedentary - well, as much as you can be when you're homeschooling four children. I regularly pick up my kids (38lbs, 42lbs, 51lbs) and carry them across the house. My oldest (11) is 108lbs, and I can pick her up (using my legs, of course!) although I can't walk with her (she's as tall as I am, at 5'5")

The kids went to school just after Thanksgiving though, so it's just me and my 3 y/o. We already had a habit of walking every day, but admittedly not very far or fast. Just walking. SO we've been walking further, and going out to the base to walk the fitness trail which is very hilly!

At the beginning of the month, I joined Curves - but I think I'm going to cancel that membership and just go to the gym on base. It's further away but free. I think I might be better off to use the money that was going to Curves for a personal trainer.

The base has more than one gym, actually, and I can develop a routine that incorporates alot of different activities including a good rock-climbing wall (which sounds like more fun than pullups, which I wasn't ever able to do at my fittest when I was active duty in the Coast Guard!).

So that's what I've been doing, to get myself started and used to doing something - but I want to be better prepared and thought I'd see what ya'll recommended!

Most of the physical strength I've had to put in at work has involved the main/core/stabilizing muscles. Squats when lifting gurneys and back boards, as well as other torso muscles like abs when balancing and moving that weight once it's been lifted (like when sliding gurney in/out of ambulance or manuevering backboard/breakaway flat). These are usually short lifts.

Your endurance and cardio seems to come in mainly during CPR chest compressions on larger patients. This (and occasional long stairways on backboard) are the few times I'll really break a sweat, but they really matter.