Does a Judge have this much power???

vcfd35s

So, long story short: (kinda)

A few days ago I applied with an EMT company, slowly getting on the road to becoming a Firefighter/Paramedic. Well, my future employer called me yesterday and imformed me that I was not eligible to be hired due to having too many points on my driving record for my age. I am 20 years old. I have no accidents, DUIs, or anything else but three speeding tickets. One that I got in 2005, and two that I got in 06. Truthfully, I was very devasted to hear the news.

However, the manager did tell me that I could still be hired if I dropped two tickets off my record. Well, all my tickets are closed meaning that I paid for them. So, tommorow I will be in court with a traffic judge pleading my case to re-open two tickets and allow me to go to traffic school and have those erased off my record. Many of my friends and family think they will allow it simply cuz I am doing it soley to be hired and work as an EMT and give back to the sick and injured. Now, if I get denied then I have to wait two years before I can apply again because thats when the two tickets will fall off my record. I have worked so hard for this, I cant wait two more years.

So, my question is this....can a traffic judge re-open someones case and allow them to erase points off there record if they have a legitimate reason? I spoke to a few cops/firefighters and they said that it wont hurt to plead my case. I will even offer the judge community service if she grants me permission to go to traffic school.

Sorry for the rant...but my dreams are hanging in the balance...just looking for a little positive feedback. Thanks guys

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, most areas judges can expunge a driving record offense if demonstrated a reason or vaidity to ..

R/r911

Rid, Thanks for the words of knowledge. For my specific situation...do you think my case is pretty solid?

Go to college and get a B.S. By the time you finish your record should be clean enough to get hired. You've also help put EMS one step further to where it needs to be.

Not a bad idea. I like it...a lot actually. Go obtain a degree in public safety management, or any healthcare sciences field and you'll be light years beyond most of your competition when it comes to getting hired on the job.

As far as if a judge will reopen a case, it depends on the laws of your specific state. They may take them away, but there's just as good of a chance that they won't since it's an old issue that's already been resolved. I guess it would depend greatly on the mood of the judge and what they are willing to do for you.

Good luck, and please give some thought to the idea of staying in school and obtaining more education. It would benefit the career field as a whole if more people started doing that. Good luck.

Shane

NREMT-P

I've never heard of someone doing that for that reason. Cool if they'll let you though. They could argue that whatever traffic sites are an indication of how you might drive an ambulance and so the points should remain.... BUT great if they do take them off.

I don't mean to sound harsh here but you broke the law, you chose to exceed the posted speed limit and now you are whining because you are suffering the consequences!

Over here in the UK if you get points on your licence these are removed after a certain period of time but you still have to declare them and they can still affect your chances of employment just as any other conviction can.

Although speeding might not seem like a very serious offence to you, it shows that you are prepared to disregard the law and if you are willing to disregard the law what else are you prepared to disregard?

I am just playing devil's advocate here and telling it like a recruiter would see it. Are you going to be this reckless when driving ambulances? Are you going to be reckless when giving drugs? Hey stuff the law, you're going to give whatever drug you see fit!

Now I'm not saying you are as I said I am just playing devil's advocate but statistically your speeding convictions (and it's not just one is it? It's 3!!!) show that you are someone who is prepared to disregard protocol when it suits you.

One conviction you could argue it was a mistake but 3 convictions? That's habitual!!!

Hopefully things will work out and you'll get the job. Due to insurance and liability, employers have to hire folks with good driving records. Don't worry about the hardcore, "stick up the butt" comments. We're all human and make mistakes. Let this be a lesson learned. Good luck.

Shayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.