EMT-Professional Liability Insurance, Yes or No?

Pro_EMT

I've carried that companies policy for many years. As stated above I don't advertise that I'm covered, BUT it's there just in case the need should ever arise. I don't plan to allow anyone to take my home or anything else I've worked for. The price of the premium will barely keep your car filled with gas for a week these days.

Which policy do you reccomend from the insurance company? Because i read they three one is EMS Volunteer? That makes no sense and then one is EMS Basic why dont they say EMT?

What I would do is call the company. Tell them your situation and see what policy they recommend.

I read that number 3 was for Student EMS/Volunteer. That is confusing. I would assume(we know what happens then though) that the Student EMS/Volunteer would be the one you want since it states volunteer.

Call the company to get more info. Don't just look at their web page and take that as gospel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked in to carrying my own insurance myself, while the prices are not bad, you have to consider this. 1 If you operate within your protocols and have good documentation they will not be successful. and 2 The company you work for should have you covered, look in to that first.

I have looked in to carrying my own insurance myself, while the prices are not bad, you have to consider this. 1 If you operate within your protocols and have good documentation they will not be successful. and 2 The company you work for should have you covered, look in to that first.

In this day of sue happy society it's not that you followed your protocols and documented proper care that matters! Can you afford to hire a $250.00 to $500.00 an hour lawyer to represent you in case you get called into court .It could cost you 10 -15k just to represent yourself even if you did follow the rules. It will cost you a lot more if you actually make a mistake after your tenth run that shift and need quality representation. And if you think that they won't sue you as an individual your wrong. Today they use the shotgun approach , sue everyone connected to the case and let the land sharks work out the details of who pays what in court We're not talking criminal court here , CIVIL court is where they take your house or bank accounts or garnish your future wages. If you think that your employers insurance company has your personal well being at heart . I'd like to sell you a bridge in Manhattan!

Do as you like but be prepared to suck it in when the unlikely event happens and you find yourself standing in front of an opposing land shark being deposed as your employers shark decides to throw you under the wheels of the bus, and walks away smiling.

I don't have professional insurance,, I dont think we need it, especially not as a vollyEMT-B.....

Care to explain that one? Somehow volunteering makes you immune, is that what you're saying? Or is it because "we're just volunteers," you won't be expected to meet the same standards as everyone else?

and 2 The company you work for should have you covered, look in to that first.

Do you believe in the East Bunny too?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.