Deny Transport?

Can You Deny a Patient Transporation to the Hospital on a 9-1-1 call  

64 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I know I am going to miss being able to deny transport. The service that is about to become my primary requires you to all but kidnap the caller regardless of whats up and take them to the hospital.

Oh wow, that is awful. I'd have to quit my job and work somewhere else if my agency took that direction.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I am going to miss being able to deny transport. The service that is about to become my primary requires you to all but kidnap the caller regardless of whats up and take them to the hospital.
Oh wow' date=' that is awful. I'd have to quit my job and work somewhere else if my agency took that direction.[/quote']

Well be careful saying that cause some on the city think you should even transport the guy that just wants a ride to lunch. I made a post about that and got jumped all over about it.

• 3 weeks later...
I am totally disgusted with the idea that a service would require all callers to be transported.

Agreed. But I believe it might be more productive for you to get disgusted with the current state of education and professionalism that necessitates that we not leave such decisions up to idiots with 120 to 1000 hours of night school. Once we are actually a profession, we can start asking to be given professional responsibility. Right now, I don't trust the vast majority of medics in the US to make those decisions.

As far as I know, we can't deny transport. I don't think there's a county protocol for it, but the FD (medical authority on-scene) might have one, as I've never seen outright denial of transport.

I have, though, put as my chief complaint "Per pt, it is cold outside".

It doesn't cost me anything to transport. It might cost me alot not to. If a patient or their family asks me "What would you do if he was a member of your family?" My reply is, "I'm not going there. You will never hear me or anyone else in one of these blue shirts tell someone that they don't need to go to the hospital. " I also rarely clue them in that they will likely go to triage. That could be construed that I was trying to get them to refuse. I make the charge nurse the bad guy if they get mad, which is frequently, especially for pain-med seekers now that the gov't is starting to crack down on the candy stores, I mean pain management clinics.

It doesn't cost me anything to transport. It might cost me alot not to. If a patient or their family asks me "What would you do if he was a member of your family?" My reply is, "I'm not going there. You will never hear me or anyone else in one of these blue shirts tell someone that they don't need to go to the hospital. " I also rarely clue them in that they will likely go to triage. That could be construed that I was trying to get them to refuse. I make the charge nurse the bad guy if they get mad, which is frequently, especially for pain-med seekers now that the gov't is starting to crack down on the candy stores, I mean pain management clinics.

That is freaking sad. You would rather waste valuable ambulance time and ER space than to be honest with someone. Plus get them a huge transport bill because medicaid/medicare will not pay. It costs you a pay raise when no money comes in because they are not going to pay. The whole I am not going to use my brain and say no argument is a bigger reason than any other why we are and will remain low paid taxi drivers rather than health care professionals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.