Safe to smoke at a gas station?

Michael

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this string got hijacked a bit, so I'll mention something near to smoking in a gas station...

1977 to 1980, I was employed at one of the private, non 9-1-1 responder ambulance service providers in New York City.

My ambulance broke down on a fairly heavily traveled street, up in the Bronx section of New York. As a precaution, I lit a flare, and placed it about 25 or 30 foot behind the ambulance.

I mention that, most people driving in NYC don't seem to have any idea of what a highway/railway flare is, or is used for. The usual life expectancy of one of these things, which the variety I use being rated to be lit for a half hour before burning out, is 5 minutes before some idiot runs over it, snuffing it out.

Would you believe (Sorry about that, Don Adams), some fool tractor trailer driver, pulling a 40 foot long gasoline delivery tanker, stopped his combo-vehicle with the tanker directly over the flare, and came up to me, asking directions! When my directions to him were simply, "You just parked over a lit flare!", he ran back and drove away.

I never knew a loaded 18 wheeler was capable of "burning rubber" like that, from a dead stop!

you are all wrong the mythbusters did this and yes cigarettes will start a fire cell phones will not, and if you rub nylon stockings fast enough they can spark too. :lol:
sorry I don't use mythbusters as a resource for anything. Its a cool show to watch but when they try to tell you that a cellphone at the gas pump will not cause an explosion? Its been in the news, see article i posted above. SO I dont put much faith into what they say on Mythbusters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.