Uk and Australia...same qualification?

jemmat

Bushy,

Intelligence and competency beats educated with an attitude, every time

And you judge my attitude how? By the fact imn pissed off that an ASNSW recruiter told me 4 years ago to go and get a degree to become an ambo, only to find out after 4 years they think the degree is a "nice to have" and are willing to bring in people from other countries while at the same time encouraging people to rack up HECS debts with the federal government.

I expect you would be frustrated as well

While yes the recruitment from a previously qualified persopn cuts training time, the red time, the immigration red tape of getting them into the country to work legally takes longer (well, it was at the beginning of last year)

For those i know who have come from the UK, the time frame is the same, or longer than putting on a new recruit and getting them qualified.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sledog1,

I came to Australia with my wife, who is an Aussie, as she wished to return home after 5 years in Canada. The immigration was very easy on a spouse visa.

The process of having the service here process your equivalency is quite painful. They have no predetermined equality matrix as they do with the UK and some other countries, so they examine every Canadian applicant based on what documentation you can provide. This is not simply Degrees and Diplomas, but the actual didactic content, dialectical timeframes, and skill assessments. This takes many weeks, and then you must sit a panel interview with the Medical Director and Multiple Training Officers. They then assign you to a level that they feel you are equivalent to.

Im led to believe the QAS shortage was further compunded by some internal structural changes in their roster which made a shortage an even greater shortage, and as this sort of shortage has not happened before they simply dont have any format for reciprocity matrix for foreign recuitments. For me at least this means QAS has a legitimate reason for taking this path. A couple of other services are heading down this path as a cost cutting exercise, because they still have not developed a proper post graduate employment program even though degree carrying students have been produced for over 10 years on behalf of a service that instigated the degree, but does not support it (go figure) and because their HR management has people leaving in droves.

There are, however, services here that got on board with a proper post graduate employment and training programs years ago and do not suffer these shortages - places in these services however are at a premium

• 1 month later...

A! Nice! I assure there is no lack of self esteem just a fair amount of bewilderment to australian jobs being given to foreigners

whilst bushy may be entiltled to his opinions, and god knows I would be pissed of if I was told to take a course, ran up 20K of debts and then could not get the job. However comment such as the onw above dont help. They make you sound quite silly at best.

Comments such as this one in the UK may well be considered offensive and racist.

Bushy despite your grievences is this really the image of your self you really want to put accross. Given that potential employers may be looking at your posts I would suggest its not the smartest move.

I hope, most australians dont share this attitude as I was hoping to make the move to queensland, and thougt austalians to be accepting of outsiders who wanted to start a new life there.

Hoping some one can help with this one. I was looking at the recructment information packs on the QAS website. There are a skills and drugs matrix explaining what the different levels can do. On another part of the pack I am told UK paramedics have skills and knowledge equivalant to an ALS paramedic. Here is wear I go confused.

I have been trained to do 25 of the 26 listed skills, 7 of which are listed as ICP skills. Plus I can thrombolyse and have been doing 12 lead ECGs for 9 years. I can use 17 of the 27 listed drugs (not much use for box jelly fish antivenem here) 5 of which are ICP only drugs. I can use 7 drugs that are not on the list, but to be fair a couple of these are alternitives to drugs on the list.

Can some one tell me if APL is availiable on the skill I can bring above an ALS paramedic? Dont get me wrong I dont expect to walk into an ICP post (thats what I want to work towards) But as far as I can see Im closer to ICP than ACP.

Also there are usual EMS rumors flying around about all the things ICPs can do such as cardioversion and RSI. Is any of this true. because it aint on the list the QAS put in the info packs.

Also does anyone know if there is any relocation assistance availiable and if there is funding for higher education once in post.

And before you start on me bushy, if you cant help please jsut og and have another beer or something.

Thanks

Hey rdenman26. I’ve just spoken to a mate of mine who is a SAP with QAS. He has worked with a few English paramedics. He says you will walk straight into a basic care paramedic job. Whilst doing this you will have to complete certain packages and have your skills tested which will make you an ACP which gives you your I.V drugs and 12 lead. That’s about all the information I got from him. ICP can perform cardioversion. In regards to the relocation assistance this what he said “I’m not 100% sure about relocation expenses but I’m sure they would cover much of the cost (pretty tight if they didn't). you can do the uni upgrade course at QUT chargeable to the QAS.”

That’s about all. The best people to contact would be QAS on there recruitment email address with your questions.

Sorry I couldn’t help more.

Thanks Timmy. Trouble is no Im more confused becasue the QAS web site says we have already been matched to ACP. But as you say I should probably e mail the QAS. I was just trying to avoid it in case it made me look forward and pushy.

But thanks

Does anyone out there know were I can get hold of a copy of the Queensland Clinical Practice Guidlines? I can only find the Victoria Guidlines on the web. I assume they are different for each state for teritory.

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.