New device to ascend buildings

skibum

Can you envision this device as a rescue tool?  

7 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know, Don't care, etc.

Cool idea, but I don't see a lot of value to the emergency services because the rope must be pre-installed on the buildings.

First there is the matter of location - I would imagine larger buildings would neet multiple ropes in strategic locations.

Next would be the natural deterioration - how often would they have to be changed, and would you trust a rope that had been out in the elements for several years?

Then is the question of how much weight the thing would be able to lift, and how high.

And finally - I would NOT want a rope hanging on the side of my building like that - sounds like an open invitation to thieves, because anybody would probably be able to get one of these neat devices.

Not much practical use as far as I can see. I'll take the elevator or use the stairs, thanks.

I doubt the rope would be just "hanging" their full time. It would be encased in a roof placed spool and push button deployed either from the top or bottom and those buttons would be secured from unauthorized use . . .

NickD :D

EMT-B

Student

I doubt the rope would be just "hanging" their full time. It would be encased in a roof placed spool and push button deployed either from the top or bottom and those buttons would be secured from unauthorized use . . .

/quote]

If you have to mount a motorized remote spool on the roof, then you should just install a remote winch - no need for the unit at the bottom!

I chose my original wording carefully "at some point", was meant to mean that it could eventually be adapted into a form of rescue equipment. I agree that having to have a permanent rope mounted would be impractical. But... perhaps this device could be expanded on to make it more of a 'universal' tool. Meaning, no need to have a fixed rope to every building, but make it more like the fictional Batman tool where it would be some kind of self contained unit. Again, I didn't mean for this to be an immediately usable item, but something that "at some point", with enhancements, might prove itself useful.

-skibum

It would be cool - I have to admit that the concept got me thinking about all sorts of ways to achieve the same objective, but without the limitations placed on it by the installed ropes - I always wanted to be kinda like spiderman (without the neuroses).

I think a rigid channel with some kind of portable gear-driven external elevator would be more appropriate, easier to maintain, and easier to "lock off" for security purposes, but this is kinda stodgy for the super-hero types.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.