Using two channels on a handheld radio

My volunteer, medical search & rescue team has several rescue units on dirt bikes, who use handheld VHF radios and in-helmet head sets. We have a lot of radio traffic, so we've been using 2 channels. It is very hard for them to change channels or turn a scan mode on/off, with gloved hands, when the HT is mounted on their body.

Are there any HT radios with a good dual-monitoring feature, which may make this semi-blind, two-channel operation easier? Regular memory scans are difficult and confusing for dirt-bike use. How about an HT that can be wired with a channel switch on the handlebars?

Have you contacted a telecommunications dealership?

Yeah, I've spoken with a couple dealers and a manufacturers sales rep, but no solutions so far. It seems that this is not a common technical pursuit. I'm hoping someone in ski patrol or on a dirt-bike unit has come across a good system for working 2 channels off an HT...

Hi Glenn,

I wish I could be more help, I am a Ski Patroller, but all of our communications are done on a "standard" portable radio, far from anything as modern as an HT. :wink: When we have to switch channels we have to deglove etc.

A speakermic is the only advice I'd have to offer, but I suspect your in-helmet headsets trump that even still. However, looking at it from a HAM perspective, you might be able to find a handheld radio system that has functionality built into a speakermic (channel changing and volume control) but that's just a thought. Perhaps there are others that will be able to provide some helpful insight, otherwise, I'd agree with akroeze and would suggest spending more time speaking with dealers.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Good luck finding a solution.

-skibum

What band are you using? I just got a Yaseu vx150. It is a small 2 meter handheld, durable, with an aluminum case. It has a selectable scan delay. You can put it on scan and when it finds a signal it will pause and monitor for either 15 seconds, the duration of transmission or it will stop scanning until you start it again. If you key the mic when the radio is monitoring, the scan will stop and you will stay on the channel. Im sure that many other rigs also have this feature, or something like it. Some Motorola HT's have subautable tone squelch. Your squelch will only break when the right tone is transmitted from the other radio. Many FRS radios have this feature, and now they have a pretty good transmission range. And the FRS radios are cheap, in case you take a header and land on your radio.

If you want to check out used equipment, look at www.talkfar.com

PC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.