A good read for those new to EMS

The following is an article that I found over at www.paramedic.com written by Karen Powers. It's a pretty good read for someone just starting off in the field of EMS and might help to set the attitude in place from the beginning that educational opportunities are all around you all the time.

3/5/2005 Basic Survival: Succeeding in an ALS System p. 1 / 1

Face it. EMT-Basics are so far down the EMS food chain that you need a microscope to see them. I should know ... when I started drafting this article, I was a Basic! And as a Basic working for an ALS service, I developed a rather extensive list of positive affirmations for my own emotional survival. Repeat after me, "Everyone has to start somewhere," or, "I’m in Intermediate class." The affirmation at the top of my list was, "But I work with paramedics." That’s my story and I’m clinging to it!

by Karen Powers, NREMT-I

Opportunity Abounds

EMT-Bs working in ALS systems are often reminded about all the skills they cannot perform. No matter how lowly you feel—or are made to feel by partners with chips on their shoulders—you are right in the middle of opportunity.

First, as hard as it is to feel accepted and valued as a professional, you get to do, see and learn some pretty cool stuff. Not all Basics have this opportunity. In fact, many never have the chance at all—some by choice, admittedly, others by simple geography. An EMT-B working in a rural BLS or ILS service fulfills a role that is vital to the community but may go his or her whole career without assisting a paramedic on a call.

Second, if you consider yourself a paramedic-in-training and make quality skills and continuing education your priorities, you can climb the learning curve quickly and may earn the respect of your esteemed co-workers along the way.

You Are in Charge ... Really Meaning, you are in charge of your performance and learning. According to Pat Greenman, NREMT-I and EMT Mentor Program Coordinator for Ada County EMS in Boise, Idaho, common pitfalls for new Basics include poor operational skills such as navigating, chart-writing, and locating specific supplies in the ambulance quickly.

"Good Basic partners follow instructions well, perform skills quickly with quality, and anticipate their partner’s needs," said Pat. "They need to do whatever helps the paramedic get the job done."

EMTs always have something to learn from paramedics, no matter what. Even on shifts without a call, keep your eyes and ears open and you will find learning opportunities all around you. I do not recall a single shift as an EMT-B in field training that did not provide some little nugget of knowledge or inspiration.

Field training presents its own, unique challenge because someone is evaluating your every move. Pat recommends being open-minded and able to adapt.

"Each field trainer and paramedic partner have different teaching styles," he said. "If you are unwilling to accept feedback, you will have problems."

Exceed Expectations

Pat recommends that new and struggling EMT-Basics learn as much as they can to assist their paramedic partners, because Basics in ALS systems, he said, "are expected to operate beyond the scope they’ve been taught."

Once you are out of formal field training, the learning is up to you. Informal conversations with your paramedic partner can pack your brain with so many bites of food for thought that it is hard to turn it all off when it’s time to go to sleep.

Let’s get back to the professionalism point. If you consistently demonstrate professionalism and focus on doing your job well, you could be the ideal partner. According to Sarah Barber, NREMT-P and EMT Mentor for Ada County EMS, it is not the certification level but the skill level that is the hallmark of a good partner in the field.

"Quite honestly, some of my EMT partners are better at anticipating my needs and knowing what the standing written orders say," Sarah says.

Tips for Success

Look for other ways to contribute. If your paramedic partner is stuck writing charts for all the ALS calls you have run that shift, make sure you do more than your share of other duties.

Know your standing written orders inside and out. Slow shift? Review!

Seek out feedback and accept it graciously.

Listen attentively, even if your partner is simply venting frustration.

Maintain your professionalism at all times. Your patients, their family, and friends will judge your performance based on how they are treated, not their treatment.

Work hard and learn as much as possible. Be a model employee, whether you are paid or not.

Anticipate your partner’s needs as he or she is working with a patient. Stay focused and ask questions if you need clarification.

Additional Resources

Recently, EMS publishers have released two books for EMTs working in ALS systems. ACLS for EMT-Basics, published by Jones & Bartlett on behalf of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons, is easy to read and understand. I consider this book a must-read for any new EMT-B who volunteers or works for an ALS service. If you have some experience in an ALS system, you may find it too elementary.

In a more advanced presentation, The Basic Provider: Assisting with Advanced Life Support Skills, published by Elsevier Science (Mosby’s parent company) is spiral-bound and printed on card-stock as a comprehensive field guide. It is more detailed, so I believe it is more appropriate for EMTs with some field experience. Even Intermediates will find it informative, and it fills a good portion of the gap between EMT and paramedic training.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen runs her own EMS website. Visit http://www.EMSresource.net.

© 2005 EMSresource.net

Shane

NREMT-P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read ACLS for the EMT-B. Biggest crock of poop ever. It was too simplified to be of any true help.

Hey JP-if you come across anything decent, in your opinion, in regards to this subject would you please post it? I'm really interested in studying this more in depth. Thanks-stay safe.

that means that, we have to be a dogs or idiots?

because ....

" Good Basic partners follow instructions well, perform skills quickly with quality, and anticipate their partner’s needs," said Pat. "They need to do whatever helps the paramedic get the job done."

EMTs always have something to learn from paramedics, no matter what. Even on shifts without a call, keep your eyes and ears open and you will find learning opportunities all around you.

"Know your standing written orders inside and out. Slow shift? Review!

Seek out feedback and accept it graciousl"

i really don't think that this way to be is the nicest way to learn.

Yes, yes, EMTB, Every Medic's Trained B****...you want to be more than that, but you gotta know your basic stuff inside and out like they say in the article before you start rising above and beyond, so you don't have holes in your training...least I view it.

Hey JP-if you come across anything decent, in your opinion, in regards to this subject would you please post it? I'm really interested in studying this more in depth. Thanks-stay safe.

I might be a bad person to review the book actually because of my volunteer experience and education. Most of the information was either too basic (i.e. the 3 cardiac rhythms covered were asystole, v-tach, and v-fib. These were the exact same rhythms covered during the AED portion of basic class) or too generalized (most specifically for me was the DNR section. While I know what they were LOOKING for with the question about family members requesting EMS personal to withhold resusctation [i.e. they can't], local policy where I'm at allows them to).

Oh dear.....

Pat recommends that new and struggling EMT-Basics learn as much as they can to assist their paramedic partners, because Basics in ALS systems, he said, "are expected to operate beyond the scope they’ve been taught."

:shock: :shock: :? :? :roll: :roll: :):lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.