Little Lambs Lost in the Woods

Laura Anne

National Registration's concept is what I want, not necessarily the entire kit and caboodle... I'd rather have a bit more across the board regionally, if not nationally, for some sort of protocols. Naturally, due to different regions having a diverse array of climatic, cultural, and types of income(s), it is not going to be the same everywhere. That's just down right impossible. But, I don't think (or at least hope) there's a region, climate, culture, etc that would disagree with the issues at hand here. Also, a little bit more state/regional funding from our lovely government would be greatly appreciated so we could provide areas with no EMS to equip themselves with better rigs, buildings, supplies, uniforms, etc so that people aren't left without help for so long. By regionalizing or nationalizing the EMS family, we can help out our brothers and sisters. Why are their down falls of the current National Registration? How come we, as the bastard children of modern medicine, can't pull our strengths together and come up with a proper solution? Why are we hear on a forum, always discussing the need for change, yet have not found the right path to follow? As I stated, the concept is a good idea, like many things in the history of man. Where do we tweak the problems and go on 'the right way?'

I think the main issue here Laura is that we as a profession are so caught up in MINE MINE MINE mentality and the short term thought processes that it will be very very difficult to get a consensus together.

Sure consensus is good and everyone talks about coming together but when you begin to actually come together people will stop looking at the consensus and start to focus of what they possibly will lose. Once you get into that mentality, that they will lose something in order to really come together then all bets are off.

It's a me me me type of world out there and people's jobs rely on how much they can get for their service and not how much they can give away.

I love your thoughts on this but in all reality, EMS is destined to be the bastard child until something serious or earth shattering were to happen.

I have a entire article I am writing on this that i hope to post to the knowledge base soon.

National Registration's concept is what I want, not necessarily the entire kit and caboodle... I'd rather have a bit more across the board regionally, if not nationally, for some sort of protocols.

I certainly agree that a national standard of education and validation is sorely needed, just as it exists in every other medical profession. Until that happens, we are not a medical profession, just a vocation.

That said, I still vehemently disagree with you regarding the need or even the advisability of national "protocols." Again, what other medical profession functions like that? Answer: none. The focus should be on producing intelligent and competent professional practitioners, not robots. So long as protocols are the central focus of your practice, you are not a professional.

Why are their down falls of the current National Registration?

Primarily, it is their NGO status and their voluntary participation. Not to mention that, in order to maintain any participation from the states, they have to cater to the lowest common denominator of EMS, which makes their standards a joke that cannot be taken seriously by those who strive to actually attain professional status for EMS. Consequently, NREMT cannot do anything significant to elevate the profession to the next level. If they were to raise standards, states would simply start opting out of their system. They are not about to let that happen. They are not in a leadership position. They are simply providing a support service to the masses.

How come we, as the bastard children of modern medicine, can't pull our strengths together and come up with a proper solution?

The solution is crystal clear. Education. But the NR, the firemonkeys, the volunteers, and the politicians refuse to let that happen.

Why are we hear on a forum, always discussing the need for change, yet have not found the right path to follow?

Again, the path is as plain as the noses on our faces. The problem is that a much too large percentage of providers in EMS do not want change. They have found a job they can get with nothing more than 120 hours of part-time night school that allows them to wear a spiffy uniform, drive fast with lights and sirens, and get half price at Dairy Queen. You think it will be easy to convince them to give that up? Where will they work then? And what about all the firemonkeys who would be out of work if EMS were no longer a fire service function? FDs would be laying off and slowing down hiring wholesale if that happened. And you can bet that if they were required to send their people for a college degree in order to employ them as paramedics, the fire service would bail on EMS overnight.

This is simple politics. Everybody wants their slice of the pie with absolutely no regard for the big picture.

EDIT: Ruff hit this one right on the head! :thumbright:

There is only one thing more maddening than being unable to solve a problem. That is being able to solve it, but not being allowed to. Being on my eighth month in Iraq, I can tell you that most of the insurgents and terrorists fighting here are fighting for much less justification than we have to improve our profession. And I am rapidly coming to believe that the obstructionists in EMS should meet the same demise as those terrorists.

You get half price at Dairy Queen?

Lucky you! :shock:

Just put a stupid post so that I can follow this thread is all I believe that We your friends to the North have VERY similar issues.

Dustdevil:

There is only one thing more maddening than being unable to solve a problem. That is being able to solve it, but not being allowed to. Being on my eighth month in Iraq, I can tell you that most of the insurgents and terrorists fighting here are fighting for much less justification than we have to improve our profession. And I am rapidly coming to believe that the obstructionists in EMS should meet the same demise as those terrorists.

Very Unfortunately Apathy appears to be the problem here so guys and gals support the troops in there respective battles.

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=100759#100759

cheers

Dust, stated my opinion exactly. When we and if we ever are able to bring our level of education up to par, then a lot of changes can occur.

I am too against national standard protocols. Whenever this occurs, you will remove autotomy and the medical community participation and needs. There are some areas that need aggressive protocols, where some that do not and will not ever need such. It should be based on several factors. As well, most "blanket" protocols, will only allow minimal treatment. Let's treat patient problems first..

For as national standard certification/ license, that would be great if we had a true national standard of educational standards. As for right now, many states will allow anyone, anywhere to conduct about any level of EMS programs. The reason behind this multicomplex. But it is simple at the same time. (Read Dust's post)

At this time there is no reason to progress. With over a half a million to possible million EMS personnel, we could change the current level rapidly. There itself lacks the problem .. apathy. Why change something, that many do not feel the need in changing ? For example, look at the participation of forums of EMS... the same folks, of course with predominally the same opinions. Still this is less 5.000 people out of ???? certified and licensed EMS personnel. Again, one can get the jest and feel how interested EMT's are in changing the system.

Predominally, from my experience EMT's are whiners and cry babies !.. They much rather complain, and be pissed off than to ever create changes. When approached how are aware of local, state, and national committees or development very few ever participate. Again, they may want changes as long as someone else will do it for them. Usually most organization have the 80/20 rule. Twenty percent is active to cause change and be creative, and eight percent are not active.... I bet our rule would be 98/2. Like Dust described ... "The problem is that a much too large percentage of providers in EMS do not want change." Many feel it is better than their last job...

Yes, it would be nice to see EMS become mature and actually become a profession with associated responsibilities and benefits. However; I would not make any bets on it. It appears we are regressing instead of moving forward.

R/r 911

Yes, it would be nice to see EMS become mature and actually become a profession with associated responsibilities and benefits. However; I would not make any bets on it. It appears we are regressing instead of moving forward.

Dear Rid,

Instead of the progression we few strive for in becoming a profession of competent medical providers, we will be stuck here then because of the individuals who refuse to educate themselves, the ones who seems to think that this is as good as it gets due to ignorance, and the other part I guess being ones who got the shiny badges and cool patches and that it... am I on the right page now? Just wanna make sure before I post anything else. God, this makes me sooo disappointed.

When I get another free moment, I'll the link from Dust above.....thnx for your repsonses guys. Does anyone else out there have anything they'd like to add?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.