Let go today and I would appreciate feedback

thbarnes

I am a new Paramedic, having passed my exams in September of 2006 and been hired right out of Paramedic school.

When I was hired, the service who hired me was and continues to be desperately understaffed. I worked hard for them, because they needed help and I needed the money. I worked my first 24 hours shift my third day there, totally clueless, they just threw me in. Over the next 60 days, I averaged about 50 - 60 hours a week on grueling shifts in the busiest parts of town. I came in early and stayed late with no complaints, I gave it my all and had the best attitude.

Then classes began at my University and I had to cut back on my hours, dramatically, because the service still utilizes the old 24-48 hour shifts and I can't work during the week. This was not a surprise for them, I had told them in my first interview that I would be returning to school in the Spring.

A couple weeks later, out of nowhere, I was asked to come in and meet with the chiefs. I had not completed their "orientation program" on schedule ("What orientation program?" I thought to myself) and they would not have the time to complete it with me before my 90-day review now that I was going PRN and had classes at the university. They offered me the opportunity to work hard over the next 30 days with the Asst. Chief of Training, alongside my other classes, to memorize their protocols and improve my paperwork...I took it.

Despite the Asst. Chief of Training's absence on most if not all of our scheduled days together, my documentation went from okay to stellar. I have also made a huge improvement in utilizing their awkward and sometimes backwards protocols. I actually had to go back and learn the old ACLS because they have not updated yet. I made dramatic improvements and many of my peers acknowledged this.

So today they let me go. They did not feel I could finish "getting up to speed" before my 90-day review. They offered a good reference and a handshake but I am very, very disappointed.

Why didn't they take me through the orientation program the first 60 days when I was available all day, every day? They certainly didn't have a problem throwing me out there the third day when they needed to cover that shift. I really feel taken advantage of. Why weren't any NRP, AMLS, or PHTLS classes offered for the entire months of November, December, and January? I know why the Asst. Chief didn't have any time for me, it's because they pile on so many other responsibilities onto him, but why not assign me to under-utilized FTOs (Field Training Officers). But now they are still understaffed. Since I was hired, they've let three other people go and hired no one new. And now I'm supposed to go get a job at, where? A fast food joint? I don't know what I'm going to do.

I feel like my Paramedic training was a waste of time. I appreciate the reference, but a three-month stint does not look good on a resume.

You got in with a bad department and chances are, it wasn't anything you did that got you termed. EMS is a tight community and most likely the word is out about your past employer and their hiring and firing practices amongst the other agencies. They sound shady and it is probably best you got out now before something major went down. You were upfront with them from the get go and they back peddled for reasons which you may never know.

Go back, get some more education under your belt that will enable you to gain decent employment at a department who deserves you. Beef up your resume and if needed, go to your community college and talk with someone who can help you with downplaying your stint with the previous employer. Perhaps someone else here can help you with that as well. If you have to work a gig for a while that isn't paramedicine, so be it. You will be better for it in the long term.

When one door closes, another door opens.Good luck and keep us informed!

This sounds like a difficult situation.

Based on what you have said, there are a few issues that you may wish to follow up on.

What was your original offer letter? Did it outline the orientation program? At any time did you receive any official documentation regarding the orientation program? Was there any evaluation or review of your skills in the interim? Did you receive any written evaluation of your skills? Did you document that the Asst. Chief of Training's absence on most if not all of your scheduled days together?

Now, if you have documentation on this, you may be able to appeal the decision to release you from employment. But, you have to decide if it is worth it – you may not want to work for this company anyway. It does appear that your employer was not a quality employer – this may be the underlying reason for the service’s being “desperately understaffed.”

Although they gave you a reference, you may also want to consider having someone else there provide a reference. Was there someone you worked with regularly who saw your skills and can provide an accurate reference? If a potential employer asks you why you only worked there for three months, you can refer to the fact that you returned to school and that your school schedule didn’t match with their staffing schedule of 24/48’s. You don't have to bring up anything regarding them "letting you go."

I realize that this is very new, and that the loss of employment was unexpected, and from the details you provided, possibly unwarranted. However, I do hope that you don’t feel your paramedic training was a waste. Any education is never a waste. It does sound like EMS is where you want to be. Stick with it and things generally work out in the long run.

In the short run, working at a fast food joint may be the route to take for income. Although not a career choice for many, a lot of people use those jobs to support them through schooling (and yes, I have been there – I did my share of slinging beer and washing dishes). It may not be great, but consider the training you get in customer service and working with difficult people.

As an employer, and having been in the situation of hiring many times, one of the traits I look for in staff is tenacity and the ability to turn a negative situation into a positive one. No one wants to be in the negative situation – but what you do with it is important. Losing that job may, in the long run, be the best thing that happened to you.

I wish you all the best. Don't give up, keep your chin up, and you will do fine.

Sounds like a bad deal. Unfortunately, as a new hire at most services you have a probationary period which allows the employer to terminate the relationship at any time for pretty near any reason they choose. I know one of the services I work for is union, and the union can't step in until you're off probation. Move on and find another service. Hopefully there's other's around you. Good luck.

Shane

NREMT-P

Unfortunately, in labor law, there are two kinds of employment: contracted and at will. Contract specifies terms and duration of employment and usually the situations that could arise that would cause you to be let go. "At will" employment is just that. Your employer can let you go at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all. It stinks, believe me I have been there. I dont think you should look at your paramedical education as a waste. It sounds like you are good at it an work consistantly to improve yourself as a medic. Maybe you will have to relocate, etc, but I am confident you will find a new situation. The thing is that if they want to give you a reference, thats fine. But also know that under US labor law, the only thing that they can tell a potential employer who might call them is to confirm how long you worked their, verify your hourly wages and tell the prospective new employer whether or not they would hire you again. They cant legally say anything else. They cant talk about your attitude or if you smelled funny. I would also be honest with any prospective employer during an interview and lay out the situation surrounding your termination. But, by the sounds of it, and as another poster put it, the word is probably out about them and how they treat their crews and new employers really do take that into consideration.

I know its hard when you are out of work, but try to stay positive and since you were fired, you an apply for unemployment compensation, which can help keep food on the table until you land that next medic gig. Good Luck and keep your chin up.

You got in with a bad department and chances are, it wasn't anything you did that got you termed. EMS is a tight community and most likely the word is out about your past employer and their hiring and firing practices amongst the other agencies. They sound shady and it is probably best you got out now before something major went down. You were upfront with them from the get go and they back peddled for reasons which you may never know.

Go back, get some more education under your belt that will enable you to gain decent employment at a department who deserves you. Beef up your resume and if needed, go to your community college and talk with someone who can help you with downplaying your stint with the previous employer. Perhaps someone else here can help you with that as well. If you have to work a gig for a while that isn't paramedicine, so be it. You will be better for it in the long term.

When one door closes, another door opens.Good luck and keep us informed!

Plus 5 for the most awesome first post I have ever seen here. =D>

The only thing I can add to what has been said is that the above advice about going to school is excellent on more levels than you think. Not only does it look exceptionally good for you to be continuing your education (as opposed to sitting back and thinking your patch actually means something, like most new grads), it allows you to network with other professionals, giving you insight into other job opportunities. People like to hire those they meet in school. And they already have insight into your character and professionalism from knowing you there.

Good luck! I been fired from a couple myself, and I am still working thirty years later. Don't sweat it.

I am still working thirty years later. Don't sweat it.

******** You mean 50 don't you Dust?**********

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

thbarnes :

Dump these turkeys like a hot potato, they are NOT worthy of your dedication and it sounds to me that they just used you anyway, good thing that you did not have an "incident" of some sort or another, as I bet my bottom dollar they would not have backed you at all......so you are actually quite lucky I would say, so spread your wings.

cheers

No training you receive is ever a waste. I never understand companies like that,, they are short so they rush you through, then they b@#$%h about you not completing training.

I would say if they are as bad as you said, you are probably better off wthout them.

Try to find EMS employment elsewhere,, the other suggestion is

File for unemployment,, everybody else does.

best of luck

I am a new Paramedic, having passed my exams in September of 2006 and been hired right out of Paramedic school.

When I was hired, the service who hired me was and continues to be desperately understaffed. I worked hard for them, because they needed help and I needed the money. I worked my first 24 hours shift my third day there, totally clueless, they just threw me in. Over the next 60 days, I averaged about 50 - 60 hours a week on grueling shifts in the busiest parts of town. I came in early and stayed late with no complaints, I gave it my all and had the best attitude.

Then classes began at my University and I had to cut back on my hours, dramatically, because the service still utilizes the old 24-48 hour shifts and I can't work during the week. This was not a surprise for them, I had told them in my first interview that I would be returning to school in the Spring.

A couple weeks later, out of nowhere, I was asked to come in and meet with the chiefs. I had not completed their "orientation program" on schedule ("What orientation program?" I thought to myself) and they would not have the time to complete it with me before my 90-day review now that I was going PRN and had classes at the university. They offered me the opportunity to work hard over the next 30 days with the Asst. Chief of Training, alongside my other classes, to memorize their protocols and improve my paperwork...I took it.

Despite the Asst. Chief of Training's absence on most if not all of our scheduled days together, my documentation went from okay to stellar. I have also made a huge improvement in utilizing their awkward and sometimes backwards protocols. I actually had to go back and learn the old ACLS because they have not updated yet. I made dramatic improvements and many of my peers acknowledged this.

So today they let me go. They did not feel I could finish "getting up to speed" before my 90-day review. They offered a good reference and a handshake but I am very, very disappointed.

Why didn't they take me through the orientation program the first 60 days when I was available all day, every day? They certainly didn't have a problem throwing me out there the third day when they needed to cover that shift. I really feel taken advantage of. Why weren't any NRP, AMLS, or PHTLS classes offered for the entire months of November, December, and January? I know why the Asst. Chief didn't have any time for me, it's because they pile on so many other responsibilities onto him, but why not assign me to under-utilized FTOs (Field Training Officers). But now they are still understaffed. Since I was hired, they've let three other people go and hired no one new. And now I'm supposed to go get a job at, where? A fast food joint? I don't know what I'm going to do.

I feel like my Paramedic training was a waste of time. I appreciate the reference, but a three-month stint does not look good on a resume.

Ok, I'm not going to ask you to pinpoint your location as I know this is creepy on the net, but I would like to know what region in Georgia you work. Like NW, or something, because that's where I plan to work, and it sounds like things are really out of date. I'm thinking I saw Georgia on your avatar, but I'm not sure now...anyway, if you wouldn't mind clearing that up, I'd really appreciate it...Thanks....oh and sorry to hear about all that, sounds really annoying...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.