Housing space

docomd600

Is there any kind of national standard pertaining to housing areas for 24 hour duty crews, for example, kitchens for food preparation, cooking utensils and storage, showers, laundry, restrooms, room sizes for sleeping quarters, etc. I work for a county government operated EMS that in our stations we either share the kitchen with the volunteers, have nothing but a small refrigerator(anything over 6 cans of soda and it's full!), no separate bath or shower, very small floor space for lounge and sleeping quarters. Can anyone help me if they know anything.

Something else we do not have is adequate coats and cold weather gear. Our cold weather gear is a job shirt with a Galls raincoat for outerwear.

Something else we do not have is adequate coats and cold weather gear. Our cold weather gear is a job shirt with a Galls raincoat for outerwear.

Ha! If your employer actually paid for that much, consider yourself ahead of the game. The fact that Galls does such a huge business is a testiment to the fact that most people in EMS have to buy their own crap.

Is there any kind of national standard pertaining to housing areas for 24 hour duty crews, for example, kitchens for food preparation, cooking utensils and storage, showers, laundry, restrooms, room sizes for sleeping quarters, etc. I work for a county government operated EMS that in our stations we either share the kitchen with the volunteers, have nothing but a small refrigerator(anything over 6 cans of soda and it's full!), no separate bath or shower, very small floor space for lounge and sleeping quarters. Can anyone help me if they know anything.

From what I know, there is no national standard for housing areas. So long as they abide by local housing and zoning codes, which is usually things like insulation, heat, hot water, etc. They could pretty much have you sit in a warehouse with cots and tell you to make due. Remember, there are those of us that sit in the ambulance at post for most our shifts.

Ya know... in a country where there is no national standard that eliminates volunteer fire and EMS, I would be extremely surprised if there is an actual, meaninful national standard that addresses how they are housed. Like it's okay to expose people to dangerous labour and not pay them... just so long as you give them a big refrigerator! :lol:

When I worked 24s in California our substation had a couple restrooms but no showers. If you worked back to back 24s the dispatchers didn't put you in service (or at least *tried* not to lol) until you had a chance to go home and shower in the morning...unless there were multiple calls holding then you were screwed. As far as furniture and kitchen stuff it was all brought in by employees. That particular substation was in a less than pleasant part of town...right next to a 24 hour tow truck yard. I'll never forget the the amber lights of the tow trucks shining through the blinds and someone always banging on their fence yelling, "GIVE ME BACK MY &%$#@! CAR!!!!!" in the middle of the night...and then the soft glow of the red and blue police lights that soon followed. Oh the memories lol. :lol:

I worked in one place that did not even have hot water, contacted the Dept. of Health and they could not help us stating it was assumed a work place would place hot water, stranger this was a city service. This changed when decon rules became effective.

The only "codes" I am aware of is they have to offer you a place to either shower if you get exposed to bio materials and a place to decon materials separate from regular building or vented with specific requirements for hot water temperature to wash materials.

This is where medics needs to be very particular when applying for employment. Most are so excited to get an EMS job, to find out later it is a hell hole, and they get treated like crap.

Be sure to ask and examine before you sign that dotted line.... There is no excuse of not providing EMS personnel that is making them money for some basic essentials such as a full refig, decent working conditions. Unfortunately, they know they have a list of "wanna a be's" that will put up with the crap, just to do it.

This might a good time, to consider to discussing potentil union or another employer.

R/r 911

In PA, you must have an "ambulance station". Which means you must own, rent, or be given use of an actual standing building.

I don't believe there are any more requirements.

That said, three of our stations have multiple garages, office areas, bath and showers, and a cozy area to watch TV and rest.

Our other 3 stations are located in hospitals, so we have all of their amenities. We usually are interested in the discounted cafeteria.

I once worked for a small family owned service with great facilities for us. heated garage bays, recliners in the common room, private shower

facilities , and bunk rooms.But then the large 300 pound gorilla came to town bought the owners out and tried to implement SSM into our nice system. needless to say all but one employee put up with that horsepuckey for one day and we quit. The one that stayed& became the brown nosed branch manager. He was the worst emt in the company & they made him the boss because he drank the coolaid. The empires way of treating your valued employees, make them post in a truck for 16 hours a day in parking lots of businesses that didn't want us there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.