Albuterol

Atrovent

Calcium Chloride

Neosynepherine

Procainamide

Tetracaine

Normal Saline

Lactated Ringers

I think that's it off the top of my head.

Shane

NREMT-P

Well mine is alot like the others, but in Hartford, CT we got

Ativan

Versed

Morphine

Atropine

Epi

Vasopressin

Lidocaine

Amiodarone

Phenergan

Mag Sulfate

D50

Sodium Bircarb

Cardizem

Adenosine

Benadryl

Glucagon

Thiamine

NTG SL

NTG Paste

ASA

Lasix

Albuterol

Atrovent

Calcium Chloride

Neosynepherine

Procainamide

Dopamine

Haldol

Tetracaine

Glucometer, syringes, 1L Normal saline w/ Macrodrip set, torniquets, tegaderm, tape, IV caths; 14g x3 16gx5 18gx5 20gx5 22x5 24x5, alcohol preps, ammonia inhalants, 2x2s, 10ml 10 saline flush vials, adenocard, albuterol, Amiodarone, ASA, Atropine, CaCl, D50, Cardizem, Benadryl, Dopamine, Epi 1;10,000, Epi 1;1,000, Romazicon, Glucagon, Oral Glucose, Lidocaine, Mag Sulfate, Narcan, Nitro Spray, Phenergan, Sodium Bicarb, and Vassopressin.

Up until Jan. 1, 2007 we carried Lasix, but after a new Dr. started in the ER it was removed due to a paper he wrote on the prehospital use of Lasix. He stated that paramedics had a difficult time telling CHF, sepsis, and pnuemonia apart in the field. He also stated that our system didn't have long enough transport times to warrant the use of prehospital Lasix. The protocols of the system he researched for his paper ststed that to give Lasix prehospital the patient had to have Rales and difficulty breathing. Nothing else was needed but those two factors to push Lasix on a pt.

Personally, I think that his paper is skewed by the protocols of the system that was studied. And maybe a group of medics that need some remedial training for the assesment of CHF, sepsis and pnuemonia. I think this might be a case of poor education.

Up until Jan. 1, 2007 we carried Lasix, but after a new Dr. started in the ER it was removed due to a paper he wrote on the prehospital use of Lasix. He stated that paramedics had a difficult time telling CHF, sepsis, and pnuemonia apart in the field. He also stated that our system didn't have long enough transport times to warrant the use of prehospital Lasix. Personally, I think that his paper is skewed by the protocols of the system that was studied. And maybe a group of medics that need some remedial training for the assesment of CHF, sepsis and pnuemonia. I think this might be a case of poor education.

There is actually new research that lasix is not the first line medication for CHF or Pulmonary Edema because the patients are "normovolemic" and that treatment should be geared to reducing preload and after load, instead of diuressing(spell check) the patient and shifting their potassium and sodium levels all out of whack. The new theory is that Nitro is the most safe and effective medication for this. As a second medication they recommend an ACE inhibitor like Captopril because it too will reduce after load on the heart.

Our protocols used to have Lasix as a standing order, and they didn't remove it, just made is medical control option, but they increased the dosage of NTG to a total dose of up to 4.0 mg instead of a 1.2 total dose, as well as adding CPAP.

Also an assessment for CHF should be made on physical exam findings like rales, wheezes, pedal edema, ascites, JVD, as well as a big part on patient history. Most Pneumonia patients will be febrile, but not all of them, most will have localized lung junk instead of all over wheezes or rales.

My thouhgts are my own and don't represent my agency or dept.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.