EMS Safety

strippel

Have you been assaulted on the job?  

15 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I have been assaulted, and charges were filed.
    • I have been assaulted, no charges have been filed.
    • No, I have not been assaulted.

I am starting to look for information for my paramedic school term paper. As of now, I am working with "EMS Safety".

I'm not sure where to go. I have considered vehicle/scene safety, and have found some good info and data. I am also considering violence against EMS providers. Maybe both.

Since much of the data about violence is on government web sites, it will take me a while to go through.

In the meantime, how many of you have been assaulted? I don't mean the diabetic who takes a swing at you with a BS of 10, then wakes up and is pleasant. Or the 90 year old confused ECF resident who swings at you. I am referring to a criminal assault.

If you have been assaulted, and did or considered pressing charges, please let me know.

Thanks

I am also considering violence against EMS providers.

Anyone in particular?

What'd they do to you? :?

If I'm not mistaken, such threats are prohibited at EMT City.

My partner and I both were struck by a drunk this past summer. He ended up having a BAC of .239. I took a brunt of the swing to the left clavicle, he just brushed my partner (a 20 y/o female who MIGHT weigh 120 pounds). The FF's on scene quickly took his arms and the LEO on scene cuffed him. We chose not to file charges because it was his sixth DUI offense and he was already going to jail for a pretty long time anyway. However, had I sustained any real injuries? I would be the proud owner of the house trailer that I'm sure he lives in.

You MIGHT be able to get that type of data from OSHA, I'm not sure what kind of record keeping they do but they might track #of injuries vs. cause vs. profession. If you look at the EMS memorial website and do a quick check of cause of death, you'll find that the numbers caused by direct violence against an EMS provider is extremely low. If you go by their data, your chances of untimely demise would look something like this:

Dying in helicopter crash: HIGH

Dying in MVA: HIGH

Dying from BBP related: Not so high

Dying from getting shot, stabbed, mugged, mutilated, decimated, defenestrated or annihilated: Very, very low

Anyone in particular?

What'd they do to you? :?

If I'm not mistaken, such threats are prohibited at EMT City.

If you knew any of my co-workers.....

Asysin2leads, I have been looking through The Bureau of Labor Statistics web query. Lots of data, not very helpful so far.

EMSN and the newspapers are keeping busy with info.

20 something male, drunk, domestic with his girlfriend. He was handcuffed and face down on the floor when we arrived, bleeding a little from his lip. We strapped him into the collapsable litter face up like good little medics and he landed a large wad of bloody spit on the side of my face, behind my glasses and in my eye. Also got some on the cop's shirt (the cop is also an EMT by the way). He threatened me multiple times on the way to the hospital stating was going to hunt me down and kill me. Oddly enough I live 5 blocks from this dirtbag and he is the reason I finally got my concealed carry permit. Sure, he's half my size but I'm sure he has access to knives and baseball bats.

Charges filed, two counts of assault for the spit. He plead guilty and was sentenced to a 3 to 23 months in county jail followed by 2 years of probation.

Just a note, the cover story on the magazine put out by Cygnus, "EMS", is "The Violent Side of EMS".

You can take a peek here[web:ae6975d768]http://www.emsresponder.com/publication/[/web:ae6975d768] .

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway. I hope I linked that correctly...

SARgal

YES! I have been assaulted by KTM Man at MX, a drunken dude in a gummy bear outfit at rodeo and a kid in a cow suit at a local agricultural show! They all thought I was funny to run up and hug the kid in the ambulance uniform!

Then we have the serious assaults. Mum and I attended a teenage boy who had been involved in an assault; we were called to him by his friends. Upon arrival everyone seemed nice enough just concerned about there friend who was pretty beat up, then out steps this larger chap who tells us to go away (slightly more irate) he then pushes mum over, takes a swing at me and got one of his mates right in the mouth. Anyway it turned into an all in brawl, luckily mum and I were able to get away and hide behind the ice cream van with the security lady lol… This individual is now in jouvy!

Another time was at a concert, I was standing at the edge of the mosh pit. This gang of homosexual Italians (no offense to anyone) come over and said they wanted to wear my ambulance vest, one guy grabbed my in an extremely inappropriate manner, I backed off and bumped into another guy who started pulling at the vest. If it wasn’t for the security guy things could have turned out a lot worse!

Oh and I’ve been punched in the stomach by an 11 year old, but that doesn’t count lol

Okay, mistake number 1: Trying to restrain a patient with a dangling stethescope. Mistake 2: Trying to do it by yourself. Mistake 3: Well, its not really a mistake, but the woman in that photo just plain pisses me off for some reason. This is why I don't read EMS magazines, that and the fact that they insult my intelligence. Also, I have five bucks on Mr. Goatee there over pretty blonde with nice hair.