Advice on ambulance service in NE FL

iadybug423

EMT/ PARAMEDIC Location: Jacksonville

Hours: Full time and part time Starting Salary: 9.50 EMT

Minimum Education: Florida EMT Certification Job Description: WE ARE LOOKING FOR EMT AND PARAMEDICS FOR JACKSONVILLE AREA AMBULANCE SERVICE. MUST HAVE EITHER FLORIDA EMT OR PARAMEDIC CERTIFICAION, CPR, AND OR ACLS. EVOC WILL BE REQUIRED BUT CLASSES WILL BE HELD. MUST BE ATLEAST 23 YEARS OF AGE WITH GOOD DRIVING RECORD TO DRIVE. 401K, AND HEALTH INSURANCE. PLEASE CONTACT DWAYNE PERKINS, DEPUTY CHIEF WWW.LIBERTY-AMBULANCE.COM OR CALL LIBERTY AMBULANCE SERVICE, INC., 904-721-0008. Posted on 1/9/2007.

I am still waiting to see if FL wants me to test or not but is it worth calling to get some ride time/experience maybe, or possibly be hired before I test for FL?

Your ideas & thoughts are appreciated.

Title changed to reflect content...AK

EMT/ PARAMEDIC Location: Jacksonville

Hours: Full time and part time Starting Salary: 9.50 EMT

Minimum Education: Florida EMT Certification Job Description: WE ARE LOOKING FOR EMT AND PARAMEDICS FOR JACKSONVILLE AREA AMBULANCE SERVICE. MUST HAVE EITHER FLORIDA EMT OR PARAMEDIC CERTIFICAION, CPR, AND OR ACLS. EVOC WILL BE REQUIRED BUT CLASSES WILL BE HELD. MUST BE ATLEAST 23 YEARS OF AGE WITH GOOD DRIVING RECORD TO DRIVE. 401K, AND HEALTH INSURANCE. PLEASE CONTACT DWAYNE PERKINS, DEPUTY CHIEF WWW.LIBERTY-AMBULANCE.COM OR CALL LIBERTY AMBULANCE SERVICE, INC., 904-721-0008. Posted on 1/9/2007.

I am still waiting to see if FL wants me to test or not but is it worth calling to get some ride time/experience maybe, or possibly be hired before I test for FL?

Your ideas & thoughts are appreciated.

Yikes... $9.50 US is ~ $11.15 CAN....Is this considered a "good job"?

"GOOD DRIVING RECORD TO DRIVE" does that mean people can have a terrible driving record and not drive?

All things considered I think Taco Bell likely has better pay and skill sets.

Have you seen that mayo gun?

Don't mess...

No, I dont think it is worth your time to do a ride along.

The age requirement was the first indicator to me that this is a non government agency so I looked at the companys website and confirmed what I suspected.

They are a private interfacility transport service.

Riding along is going to give you zero experience. Now if you are considering serious employment there and really really want the job, I am sure you might be able to persuade them to let you observe a typical work day or ride along for a few hours to see if it is what you really want. But it will not prepare you for anything emergency wise.

So, my answer is NO, it will not be of any benefit to ride along, if they even allow it. They may prohibit it due to insurance reasons and since they have age requirements specified which is unusual for most services in FLorida, I think they will be leery of any non employees being in the unit and especially coming in contact with patients.

As for them hiring you before you are even FL certified is a long shot. EMTs are a dime a dozen, so what makes you so special to employ before you are even legally allowed to be working by the state? Just stating a fact. There is no shortage of EMTs, especially when the private schools churn them out as fast as they can to make a buck. This is why the pay is so low as well, but then again it is north FL we are talking about so that is to be expected.

akcflightmedic,

Thank you for changing to an appropriate topic. I appreciate your advice here. Why do you think they did post an age requirement? Insurance reasons, or maybe they want a more mature professional?

Do you think it is more like a first aid cab driver kind of thing?

Thanks,

I can almost guarantee that this age requirement is a insurance requirement. AMR in Independence used to have the requirement. Not sure if they have it now.

But I'm almost 100% positive it's insurance.

Are you committed to florida or would a different state be considered. I have quite a few contacts in Missouri

Correct give that man(men/people) a cigar. I will say that I am 99.99 % certain that the 23 years of age is to satisfy a Driving Insurance requirement... Rembember trying to rent a car at under 25 ? they don't want some kid with 6 months of driving experience wrapping one of their 35-50K dollar ambulances around a tree or other vehicle let alone with a patient on board.

that being said, if you want to work in FL get your FL EMT, then go apply,, there are PLENTY of EMT jobs out there.

goo luck

Former

Unfortunately I am committed to FL. I live here and have for the past 20 years, and just to clarify I went out of State to EMT school because they offered the WEMT that I wanted.

My husband has his job here, so for now and the next 8 years we'll be here.

Since I am so new to this world I keep having questions. Like if it is and your probably right about the insurance with Liberty wouldn't another company be afraid an 18-23 year old would wrap their ambulance around something as well?

Thanks guys,

Well,

Another company either has a better insurance company or they dont mind paying the higher rates to employ younger drivers.

There that was simple.

The cities and ocunties usually do not have such restrictions because they are self-insured.

That pay is horrible!

But on another note : I moved to Florida from New Jersey. All I had to do was send Florida something from my state that said my cert was in good standing. FL mailed it back to me stating I was allowed to take their exam. They are held at your convenience at different testing centers. I took the test, passed, and was handed a paper with my score on it notarized. i was then allowed to work in Florida. And FYI, most places down here won't even call you back if you are not already certified in FL. some will, but most won't. I'd take the test and get certified here, then start looking.

I believe that is what I will do, wait til I am FL certified. I did receive the letter saying congrats I can test and within 30 days I should receive a letter with details. Jan 8 was the 30 day mark but I am giving an extra week because of the Holidays then I will check on my status Tues.

Thank you for your help and advice,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.