I'm just starting out and have a question...

dblueyes

Hello. Let me introduce myself first...my name is Denise and I am new to the City. I am currently an audiologist, however, I am starting my EMT-B classes on Feb. 6th. The classes that were scheduled for this month were cancelled due to not enough people being registered. So now I have to wait another month before starting. I am extremely excited about beginning this new career and can't wait to actually start. Here is my question....since I have another month before classes begin, is there any books or information I could start reading now? I have been visiting the City and reading the forums a lot....I love all the information here. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!!

I bought the local EMT Text, Brady Seven, and workbook about six months before I took PAEMTB. Since I had to wait for the class anyway, I decided to expand my field of knowledge. I already had first aid classes in the past, so I came in pretty familiar with splinting, bandaging, Signs & Symptoms, CPR, etc.. But this gave me time to read through various chapters, and go through the work book on a sheet of paper. In the end, I didn't use the workbook for the class, and passed it off to someone else the next year. I don't know if it helped me or not; I'd been reading Prehospital Care texts and old Brady books since I was eleven. I had an odd facination for EMS since syndications of Emergency! had been on WGN Chicago since the late 80's.

Buy a pocket mask, you'll need one (if not, buy some alcohol wipes, Resusci-Annie's lips shouldn't be trusted.. ha ha. :( ); the text book that will be used in the class, a couple highlighters, a short stack of legal pads and few good pens.. Look over the book, but don't get too far in, read it when you cover it in class. Highlight important stuff in the book, and look it over before the tests.. Practice, practice, practice.. I don't know about ride alongs, I'm not too keen to allow a new EMT student ride on a complex call.. In case we don't do things the way the instructors want them to, or the course requires them to learn a specific skill. But, that's just my opinion.

Try to find out what book your instructor will be using and then purchase a different one and read it prior to taking the class. Reading a different textbook allows you to gain some information from a slightly different perspective (different authors, etc) and also gives you one more reference text when you are looking up various concepts, etc.

Some of the more popular textbooks in my neck of the woods are referred to by cover color:

The "yellow book" aka the "Brady book". Pretty good detail and content. They used this in my -B class:

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Care-10th-...TF8&s=books

The "orange book" aka the "AAOS book". I've looked through this and IMHO it is probably superior to the Brady book in terms of helping someone completely new to EMS learn their way through the thought and action processes used on a call:

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Care-Trans...TF8&s=books

Keep in mind that both of these texts are phonebook-sized and may be difficult to read in a month's time. A nice alternative plan would be to learn/brush up on your Human Anatomy & Physiology this month. Depending on your instructor and the pace of your course you may not get nearly enough A&P...you really cannot learn too much of this stuff and a solid understanding will pay lots of dividends not only in class but also out in the field.

I think the AAOS A&P book has a decent amount of content (and can easily be read in a month's time). Don't let the 'paramedic' title scare you away:

http://www.amazon.com/Paramedic-Anatomy-Ph...TF8&s=books

Good luck (and have fun!)

-Trevor

dblueyes: If you are an audiologist you will have no problem becoming an EMT. Like those who have given you advice so far, I agree that reading ahead in your text book is a good thing.

The emt-basic class is nothing that requires brain power. All it really amounts to is first-aid and CPR.

Good luck to you. Stay in touch

Somedic

I'm going to go a different route and suggest other reading than EMT textbooks. I would say start to read anything pertaining to anatomy and physiology. The EMT course hardly covers an acceptable amount of this material even though it's the foundation of all good healthcare providers, and the universal language of medicine. By having a better understanding of anatomy and physiology you can pull more useful information from your assessments instead of having them scripted by the acronyms that you will soon be familiar with (SAMPLE, OPQRST, etc). Add to that the benefit to talk inteligently to other healthcare providers (EMT's, medics, nurses, PA's, doc, etc) and you'll find the field far more welcoming and enjoyable. In fact, I recommend to anyone that wants to become a better EMT that they take some anatomy and physiology classes. One of the biggest differences in healthcare providers (other than the interventions they are able to provide) is an knowledge and understanding of how the body functions and using that to guide their assessments. The test prep will come from the class, but there really isn't much to the EMT-B program. Good luck.

Shane

NREMT-P

I agree with the A&P books, read and read and read some more. I just passed NR for my EMT-I and that is what I got as well. This might sound dumb to you but the anatomy coloring books helped me. I am a visual learner and you can find those cheap. My hubby got me a great basic cardiology book, the heart you need to know inside and out literally. One thing that I did that I had a pretty smart person tell me NOT to do is highlight the entire book, I did that and she asked me how was I supposed to pick out my key points from the chapter. good luck, it sounds like you are ready to go, jump in there and learn and we will be here along the way to try and help you out when you need it. :wink:

Jenn

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far! I am going out tomorrow and getting the A & P book. I agree with you...that is a great place to start. I can't tell you all how excited I am about this! I just thought it would be a big waste of my time to just do nothing until classes start in a month, when I could be doing something constructive.

Thanks again for all of your help. I do have one other question. Where do you usually go to find items such as the pocket mask, etc? I am trying to think of any stores around here, but I am not having much luck. I live in Canton, Ohio by the way. So any help with this is appreciated as well.

Looking forward to getting to know the City better. From what I have seen so far, I absolutely love it here. The information is great....I literally can't stop reading once I come here! This is a great place.

Plus 5 for the A&P recommendation. There is NO other topic that you can study that will put you ahead in EMT school. None. Reading ahead in your book does no good, as you will still end up graduating at the same time, with the same amount of knowledge, as the guys who didn't read ahead. It's pointless, unless it serves the purpose of convincing you that you don't want to be an EMT after all. :)

Engineering students don't "get ahead" of their classmates by learning to weld or turn bolts. Such knowledge is pointless without the foundation of structural design. Aspiring mechanics don't "get ahead" by learning to change tires. Again, the foundation knowledge of the theory of the internal combustion engine is the key to getting ahead. The same applies to medicine. Without knowledge of the human body (which EMT school does a miserably inadequate job of covering, since, as has already been mentioned, it's just a short first aid class), none of the other stuff you learn in EMT school is worth a dime.

Although, I do like Rocket's idea of studying a different text. I agree that is a good learning tool. Although, if your school sucks, that might contribute to your failure since sucky instructors teach to a specific book instead of to universal concepts.

There are some programmed learning textbooks for anatomy and physiology. Check for them on Amazon.com (then buy it from an EMT City sponsor, if possible!). You can make good progress on one of those in a month's time. And if you do, I guarantee you that you will indeed be way ahead of your classmates, and find EMT school to be a breeze.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.