Help for an overseas paramedic - please

ukcanuck

So here is the rub - paramedic in the UK, PHTLS/PEPP instructor, AMLS, training officer, and a few other alphabet soup type courses.

Want to move to the US and am willing to do the training to prove myself.

Looking for a full time paramedic course (have already followed the 12 week course thread) that is available that will lead to NREMT-P.

OR does anyone know a state office that will recognize outside training to gain a state ticket that will let me sit the NREMT-P. Again willing to prove everything via portfolio or examinations.

Already have ideas on how to get around immigration but need the ticket to get things going.

ideas on a post card please Thanks in advance

How about 60,209,500 people in the area of colorado, $2 per liter for gas, $500,000 for a house that is only 950 sq feet, that is not any where near London and is considered a cheap area for housing, ripped off at every turn by anyone incl the govt (we even have to pay a tax just to have a TV), a retirement age of 68, and you have to pay for everything even to go out on the river for a paddle.

Professionally I also think that it will be a step forward at the best and the same at the worst - so all added up family wins on the lifestyle and I can't lose with work

I would not be a good Dad or spouse if I didn't do this

Any ideas or suggestions

Any ideas or suggestions

Yup, look north and west young man "the colonies you say"?

Lots of hoop jumping to be assured.

Look on the ACoP website: http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/

Contact: APL, I hear that they have made some forward progress in this area? dunno but contact "PATCH" in PM.

Prairie EMS, Peace Country Health, KBR, IPS or any Industrial Operator it will not be easy

BUT paddles are very cheap, igloos are cost efficiant and wages are higher than the US counterparts.

In fact even Canadian Armed Forces are reqruiting "forgieners" :roll:

I dont think I have to explain where you would be putting your skills to work.

I have seen Texas grant foreign medics a clearance to test for NR, so that is worth checking out.

It is best if you can hook up with a service who has a Training Officer or Administrator who is intimately familiar with the State EMS office, who can navigate the minefield for you though.

Texas is always a great bet and for paramedics work here is easy to find, and supposedly pay is good ($15 an hour or so average in my experience, up to 25 if your teaching).

Our state web-page is http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/hcqs/ems/default.htm

The page about reciprocity is http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/hcqs/ems/stdrecip.htm mostly for out of state, but give you some idea.

USUALLY this will gain you a year of Texas cert. Within that year you must sit for the NREMT exam, [s:21373d536f]if[/s:21373d536f] when you pass the test you will gain ONLY Texas certification. If you talk with the NREMT they may let you gain their cert, but that is not guaranteed by any means.

Hope this helps you. As a note TDSHS looses 15% of there paper work, so call a lot and used registered mail when dealing with them.

...for paramedics work here is easy to find, and supposedly pay is good ($15 an hour or so average in my experience, up to 25 if your teaching).

Wake up! You're dreaming! :D

Work is easy to find for paramedics ONLY if you count non-emergency ambulance driver work. Otherwise, real EMS work is difficult at best, and very rarely pays a decent wage. Especially in the big cities where things are dominated by the firemonkeys and volunteers.

Wake up! You're dreaming! B)

Work is easy to find for paramedics ONLY if you count non-emergency ambulance driver work. Otherwise, real EMS work is difficult at best, and very rarely pays a decent wage. Especially in the big cities where things are dominated by the firemonkeys and volunteers.

Please do not contradict your fellow pre-med student. You guys will probably go to school together :D

Maybe ukcanuck should consider Ontario. Always a pain to transfer your certficiations, but the pay will be much higher for an Advanced Care Paramedic (I think Toronto is almost at $40 an hour now) than in the US generally. Seeing as you have "canuck" in your name and didn't ask about Canada maybe you just don't like us which I can accept also.

Like tniuqs said,

I can guarantee that if you look at Alberta you will have no difficulty finding any work with an average starting salary of over $20/hour and easily topping out at a current average rate of $31 (with plenty of larger services more in the $33-34 range, plus add holidays, overtime, etc) Add to that excellent benefits which add another $8-10/hour of comparable salary. I won't even mention industrial/oilfield work but if you are a family man, probably wouldn't be considered (huge money potential if so desired).

The difficult part would be the equivalency process and getting registered but coming from the UK, may not be too bad. If you are willing to invest the time, effort and a little money, it can be done. Plus you would probably be better suited to our scope of practice where you may feel more at home.

Not to mention the fact we are a Commonwealth country (unless you are wanting to run from the Monarchy), we even have the Queen stamped on our coins and printed on our bills.

Some states do not require the NREMT-P. You might want to contact the State Offices of EMS in Florida, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina & Utah to see if they would accept your training.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.