Help for an overseas paramedic - please

ukcanuck

Guys and gals

Thanks so far for the info and tips on where to go

So far after some months of e mailing and contacting I have found that ACoP is not really receptive to anyone outside of Albt that thinks they can do the ACP skills and Ontario means that I have to go back to PCP level to go back up - I'm too old in the teeth to do that.

I have just found Nova Scotia to be receptive and might go that way.

Immigration is not an issue into Canada as I am Canadian and worked BCAS for five and a half years part timer but on full time hours - you full time part timers from BC will know what I am saying :) (greetings region 2) Talked to friends there and they know of only one of the CMA accredited guys getting through all the hoops to work ALS(ACP) let alone the outside guys.

Whether it is Canada or the US does not really matter but my partner has her heart set on the american dream and really wants a warm state - too many dark wet dank wnters in the UK

The NR will not let you test until you get a state licence hence the request for either a course to get one or a state that likes outsiders.

Also there appears to be more choice when it comes to types of places to work in the US compared to Canada. In Canada it is either a fairly large municipal or city or you are stuck in the middle of no where. The industrial side that is very open in Albt doe snot appeal to me as I did it for a few years in BC. Staring at trees for 12 hours a days gets to you after a while esp when the trees start talking to you.

I am also 50% of the self loading baggage for an air ambulance service and would like to have a pop at that and the US has more flight systems than Canada so the primary target is US with Canada as a secondary colder target

Please keep the ideas coming if you have them as there are several guys in my service wanting to jump and several are already going to Oz or New Zealand

Cheers

Quoting ukcanuk: So far after some months of e mailing and contacting I have found that ACoP is not really receptive to anyone outside of Albt that thinks they can do the ACP skills and Ontario means that I have to go back to PCP level to go back up - I'm too old in the teeth to do that.

I have no doubt that is true, my regulatory body ACoP has serious problems with their mathematics, on that employment opportunities site..... > 180 EMT-P/ACP positions (roughly speaking) posted on a routine basis and these positions go unfilled may times. This could indicate a true shortage of qualified health care workers and the people of my province are not receiving the "care" that is required. Tis a shame that "not really receptive to anyone outside of Albt" but don't think your special.... ACoP is not really receptive to its own membership either.

Now if I were a Canadian and working abroad that had worked in different systems and with a huge concentration of the population. I would most likely believe that those experiences would be in fact "valuable assets" in fact with a very serious consideration that one had good ideas in "how to skin that cat" so the speak. there could be better ways to deliver care but alias dont dare look anywhere else to see how "they do it"

Perhaps the Alberta Government and new Premier should be made aware that these artifical barriers do exist.

I would so hope: It is his head (the Premiers) on the block for Health Care after all, not some .............. oops can't go there!

I Highly suspect that if one was an RN out of GB (not even a citizen of Canada) then the gates would "FLY OPEN" suddenly.

We in EMS do not in any way have the same mobility in the Labour force...... tis a bloody pitty! But we all follow the ILCOR or a fairly much standardized course that being ACLS...and far more a common ground in fact than any RN programs world wide could attest too.....sheesh.

cheers

Too true tniuqs

I have a mate who is a paramedic whose wife is a nurse and he can't get a look in for a ticket but the nursing board are falling over themselves to get his wife in and working.

I would love to go back to Albt and work for a service but in all truth the whole APL system for ACoP is so long winded, expensive and paper driven that I will look elsewhere before even thinking of trying it.

Consequentially the ACoP is losing the interest of paramedics who are working autonomously

If the diferent colleges would at least think about setting up a easier and yet robust selection procedure then I would expect that most of the vacancies would be filled by UK paramedics.

Queensland in Oz is quite happy with the response to the recruitment drive they held in the UK recently and I believe that they and other services from down south are planning to do it again. Canada and the US for that matter need to tap into the supply and pick off the ones they want before we all learn how to say "G'day mate"

Any hints or tips for dealing with ACoP would be greatly appreciated

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.