TB

akroeze

Just found out through the grape vine that a pt we transported this morning with SOB has been sent through a larger centre for investigation of possible TB. Naturally this raises a concern to me. I'm wondering if anyone here has had TB patients? Should I be worried at all or are my risks pretty minimal? Is there something I should be doing?

You need to be concerned, not panicky. In about 2 weeks, you need to get to get a Tb Mantoux /PPD skin test. It takes at least 2 weeks post exposure to detect if you were exposed.

Unless you were exposed, (such as cough, droplets) I would not be worried, but still tested. We mandate Tb testing 4 times routinely here.

R/r 911

Well he was SOB and he was coughing occasionally.

TB didn't cross either my or my partner's mind (in fact, talking afterwards we were both pretty confident of Pulmonary Embolism). So there were no masks or anything (other than his NRB of course).

It was about a 35-40 minute transport that I was in the back with him for too.

So like... I should be getting a phone call from someone official? I only heard this from another medic who did his transfer.

I have been exposed on more then one occasion. We are notified through the hospital after the TB was confirmed. One latent, one active.

If they are latent or positive TB test, they are unable to spread the disease. If they are active, confirmed through chest X-ray they are able to pass the infection.

If she was indeed active you will be notified, along with everyone else that had any contact with them. I would hope.

If for some reason you are latent, they might start you on some meds such as isoniazid, pyrazenamide or rifampin. Not sure if I am spelling those correctly. I think its a two-month regimen.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet, I have transported a few known TB pts, and a few unknown. without issue. I wouldn't blow it off either.

Like rid said get a test in a few weeks.

If in fact the pt was Active you will hear from some one.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm... I thought Canadia was doing the BCG vaccine thing. No?

If you haven't had the vaccine, and you can get it, I highly recommend it.

Although, even with it, nobody wants to take your word for it and every farking employer still insists you get a PPD, which of course turns out positive and they freak. :roll:

• 3 months later...

I am immune to TB having had the BCG vaccine does this mean my mandatory TB test will come back positive when I start my rotations?

How is this going to affect my employment chances? Surely the employer will understand that I have been immunised? I have been exposed to TB prior to the vaccine but the occy health nurse said TB spreads through prolonged contact in a close environment and it is uncommon for medics/EMTs to catch TB as they simply aren't in contact with the patient for enough time.

Based on the information occy health gave me during my Technician training and throughout my career I wouldn't worry. I am more concerned about Hepatitis than any other infectious disease personally and TB, HIV and other diseases worry me less. I use BSI with every patient and we can only do our best. If we worried about dieseases we would quit our jobs!

I simply look at the number of GPs (family physicians) and the fact that they are rarely sick to know that being in contact with a disease doesn't mean we are going to catch it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.