Fire Depts. that will hire EMT-1

danrogers

I recently completed an EMT-1 course, and will be taking the national registry in March.

I am trying to find out if there are any Fire Departments that will hire at that level. So far, all I have found

are departments that will only allow an application for fire fighter with the EMT-P level.

Also, any advise for the National Registry.

Thanks all.

Well Sir,

You need to be more specific. Where do you live? Are you willing to move? Are you willing to commute? What are you looking for career wise...large department, small dept, urban or rural.

Is your focus fire or EMS?

Are you IFSAC or ProBoard certified FF I and II? I see you are a navy FF but in the Navy, everyone is a FF...lol. Do you have all you DoD firecerts as those can be granted reciprocity for IFSAC or ProBoard?

So, once you narrow it down a wee bit, I will gladly share what I know or put you in touch with people who do.

try the following web sites www.aacounty.org (for anne arundel county Maryland and www.mcfrs.org (for Montgomery county MD)

Basically ALMOST all fire depts. in the state of Maryland use NREMT-I 99's,,, they call them CRT's or cardiac rescue technicians....

I know for a fact that AA Co. just hired and will begin again in early 2007, also montgomery County is hiring...

also do a web search for Charles County MD EMS,, they are hiring EMT-I's starting at 39K....

If you PM me with your info.. i can give you more.... but these are good places to start... for info on the CRT test and MD protocols ,,, go to www.miemss.org

Some dept's use CRT's as stand alone ALS providers and others like AA County,, use them as 2nd ALS provider, 1 EMT-P and 1 CRT..... All of MD is short and are hiring... some places will hire CRT's and some want full P's ,,, AA County has a program that sends CRT's to a 2 year Medic college degree at AA County Comm College after hire, but i understand that the program is temporarily on hold because they are so short.

I concur with what AK said as well ,,,,, where are you from ,, where do you want to land,,, are you getting out of the Navy? or are you trying to work 2 jobs 1 navy 1 civilian....

But regardless check out fire depts' in Maryland and Virginia,, and i think DC I know that MD and VA recognize NREMT-I 99 as an ALS provider... I think DC does as well....

I'm assuming that the class is the NREMT-I99 class.??????.... correct.... Also New york uses EMT-I and EMT-CC but which are both ALS levels below EMT-P but I don't think they will let you get NYS certified without taking a NYS EMS course.... you might want to check though.. I have heard of some NREMT cert people being allowed to take a NYS refresher course and sit for the NYS test... the other thing is if you can get state certified as an EMT-I NYS may (MAY) let you get reciprocity off of your State EMT-I card....

whatever you do be prepared to provide a course syllabus, and contact info from your instructor.

whatever you decide good luck.

Former HM2 (FMF 8404)... blah blah blah ......

There are tonnes of such places. In fact, the larger and better departments across the country don't give a rat's arse what your certification is, as the only thing that counts on your hiring process is Civil Service points. No matter what you've done in the past, they're going to send you to THEIR academy, and probably to THEIR EMT school too. Most people who are hired as firefighters in this country have zero prior training or experience.

I dunno where this idea of training before hiring got started anyhow. It's not that common, in my experience, Floridia not withstanding.

Actually, the big municipal departments are the ones who don't care (in Indiana). The small departments want you to come with a previous EMS certification because they can't afford to not have you pass at least the EMT-B test (which does happen). So, before you can apply to most small municipal or township fire departments in Indiana you must have at least EMT-B.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.