Lousy code 8s! (that's a standby, for those not in Ontario)

MedicDude

Another decently cheap solution is to get yourself one of the many different electronic handheld games (solitaire, sudoku, battleship, connect four, whatever keeps your attention). They don't cost much and you can choose one that has an illuminated screen.

I like sudoku, myself. Keeps your mind going. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4601215

-ACP students complete preceptorship as well, however some services require consolidation

The difference is, preceptorship you are third man on, being supervised and not paid. With consolidation, you are paired with another ACP, and are being paid, but it's kind of like a probation. Essentially, same thing as being precepted as you attend every call (but can drive to scene), except you lose the safety net of your partner when you begin transporting. Personally, I believe EVERY service should require consolidation for new ACPs, but whatever.

And, browny points ... EVERY call you complete as a student, you should be filling out one of the special codes on the ACR (56 i think).

Jacob

1. I was paid for my ACP preceptorship :P

2. Consolidation here is 20 shifts (precepting is 60), usually with another new ACP, usually from your class. Often you are sent to a "consolidation station".

3. Code 56 on is precetor/student, code 57 is preceptor/consolidation. I never put any codes on my forms, but ya I realize you are supposed to. I also never identified myself as a student when I patched...Meh...

Want to end boredom on standby's? GET OUT OF THE SICKS! :wink:

Ahh yes, the code 8 curse. I had the same problem when we were on night shifts. 2 trucks for the whole city, and we were in the slow end. Here's my cheesy advice: As soon as the batphone rings, run out to the truck and turn on the radio so you can hear the other trucks call details, and then while you're doing the code 8 run the call in your head a couple times. Sure it's not as good as actually doing the call, but it can help, and it also helps with boredom a little too.

An important thing to add if you're riding out in an actual city (no offence) and have a good chance of getting a call while on standby is to be sure you don't sleep through the Code 4 response that may follow. You look really stupid if you just wake up as your preceptor opens the back door. Not that I would know...