Physical Examination Textbooks

Dustdevil

Again, a topic directed mostly at the physicians, PAs and advanced practice nurses here, bur anybody with experiential input is welcome to answer. Anybody have a decided preference between the Bates Physical Exam text and the Mosby? I've been using the DeGowan text for the last twenty-something years and it's getting a bit dated. It was the med school standard back in my day, but I'm looking to replace it with something better illustrated and up to date. I read a good comparison discussion between Bates and Mosby on another forum awhile back, but now I can't seem to find it.

Anybody have experience with these two books?

EDIT: Doing some more Googling, I found a review for the Saunders text "Textbook of Physical Diagnosis: History and Examination" which concludes with this helpful morsel:

• Guess I'll keep Googling and see what else I can find!

Again, a topic directed mostly at the physicians, PAs and advanced practice nurses here, bur anybody with experiential input is welcome to answer. Anybody have a decided preference between the Bates Physical Exam text and the Mosby? I've been using the DeGowan text for the last twenty-something years and it's getting a bit dated. It was the med school standard back in my day, but I'm looking to replace it with something better illustrated and up to date. I read a good comparison discussion between Bates and Mosby on another forum awhile back, but now I can't seem to find it.

Anybody have experience with these two books?

EDIT: Doing some more Googling, I found a review for the Saunders text "Textbook of Physical Diagnosis: History and Examination" which concludes with this helpful morsel:

I used Bates in med school and thought it provided everything I needed. It's full of pictures, which is very helpful when learning to do a physical exam. You learn how to do a VERY thorough exam. As for the sections on clinical decision making and cultural diversity, you can get those elsewhere. I highly recommend Bates.

Uh oh. I feel a verbal beating coming on. Duck and cover.

I don't see why. I never said we weren't also forced to fully understand what we were doing. It pretty much comprised an entire semester. More specifically, it was an entire class by itself.

When I mean memorize, I mean when I got to my integument exam I had to resight word for word what I was doing, while also doing it on a mock patient.

I mean we had to understand what we were looking for with an ophthalmoscope. It wasn't just "inside are pretty colors and they mean something." At that point in my career I should have obviously understood the structures and functions; however, the pathophysiology of abnormal findings was a large part of class.

I don't see why. I never said we weren't also forced to fully understand what we were doing. It pretty much comprised an entire semester. More specifically, it was an entire class by itself.

When I mean memorize, I mean when I got to my integument exam I had to resight word for word what I was doing, while also doing it on a mock patient.

I mean we had to understand what we were looking for with an ophthalmoscope. It wasn't just "inside are pretty colors and they mean something." At that point in my career I should have obviously understood the structures and functions; however, the pathophysiology of abnormal findings was a large part of class.

Good thing you explained it a little more. As I'm sure you have noticed, there are a few people on here that think EMS education, or lack thereof, sucks. The way you made it sound was that you were just forced to memorize and recite what you were told, not absorb and understand it. I was just expecting one of the few with strong opinions on here to pick that statement apart, no harm meant.