Good or bad for the ol' resumé?

MedicDude

Hey guys,

It's getting to be that time when we have to start thinking about applying to services where we would like to work. So, I figured it's about time I might want to update my resumé. For the most part, it's been fine, but I have one little point I was wondering about...

I was on my university's "first response" team back in my first year, and I put it on my resumé, thinking it would look good. However, this team wasn't a true first responder team; it was a bunch of people with standard first aid, walkie-talkies, and backpacks full of bandages and stuff. At first (being the naive 19-year-old I was) I thought it was neat. I mean hey, we got to wear a special shirt AND carry neato radios. Well, as it turned out I only ended up getting a few calls ever, which were very very minor in nature. I lost interest in it after a while, realizing it wasn't very stimulating, nor was it a good learning experience. If anything, it interfered with my studying (and social life, for that matter :P). I decided not to continue after my first year (which would've been a royal pain anyway, seeing as how I was living off campus) and I can't imagine continuing with it. There were those who did though, but I always thought those guys were rather odd...

So what do you think? Keep it on, or remove it?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

If you don't have anything to replace it with, leave it.

Really can't hurt to show that you were involved with some level of responsibility.

If you don't have anything to replace it with, leave it.

I agree. If your resume starts running into page 2, then this would be one of the first things I would consider dropping. But if you're still in the first decade of EMS service, it should probably stay there as filler. Although, if you already have good employment and education to fill most of your resume, expansion on those experiences would probably make better filler than this college position.

I was recently working on my resume also and left out the part about the campus response team. I didn't think it mattered since it is just a bunch of first responders going to mainly minor calls. When I had a friend who is a supervisor for the team and also was a Toronto EMS medic review my resume he suggested that I add that in since it was at least some type of practical experience (although minor).

But since we will be competing for jobs, leave it out :wink:

Like has been stated, unless it is a 2+ page document, leave it on if it relates to what you are applying for. You have to keep in mind, when you submit a resume, it gets evaluated and graded. Though there are few reasons to lose points on a resume (grammar, spelling, format), anything that you submit will add value to your overall evaluation.

You have to keep in mind, when you submit a resume, it gets evaluated and graded. Though there are few reasons to lose points on a resume (grammar, spelling, format), anything that you submit will add value to your overall evaluation.

I learned that one the hard way.

Back in the dark ages, before word processors and computers, I submitted what I thought was a downright awesome resume to a potential employer. All meticulously hand typed and laid out. I was proud of it. When I went in for my interview, I saw my resume sitting on the interviewers desk with red pen marks all over it as if my freshman English prof had just gotten through with it. Nothing major. But indeed, they had circled every minor misspelled word and error in spacing.

Yes, I got the job offer, but damn that was embarrassing!

Leave it on there. You can always make it sound better than what it really was, that is the great thing about resumes, YOU control what people read and see. And all in all, it is still experience and that is valuble