Phenergan....good or bad?

bassnmedic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Just got a memo that phenergan was removed from the squad trucks because of recent issues with tissue necrosis at the IV site.

Thoughts?

This may not be my place to interject my opinion, but I experienced this a couple of years ago and while this drug was a God send for my situation, I know what it feels like to have to have this drug injected straight into your tissue. TWO WORDS: IT SUCKS! It was not done by a medic but by an RN in a hospital who ignored me when I told her my arm felt like it was on fire. I was told "it's supposed to burn". Long story short, the vein where the IV was had blown and now I have a permanent purple spot on my arm that has never gone away. This spot also has no sensation either. I will stick to oral or other forms of Phenergan from now on.

phenergan is pretty good...beats mopping up puke in the back of the bus. I have found it to have more of a sedative effect then agalgesic, but when given with morphine it enhances the effects of the morphine. We are allowed to go up to 25mg per dose, I tend to stay w/ 12.5mg and adjust up as nescessary.

...when given with morphine it enhances the effects of the morphine.

Just curious if this is something you were taught recently, or if you've been out of school for more ten years.

It's really old-school thinking that the current medical literature doesn't support. In fact, the studies quoted on the first page of this topic, which contradict what you are saying, are from 1979. I'd be seriously leery of any school that is still teaching that theory in the 21st Century.

• 1 month later...

I know this is another old topic, but...

One thing with phenergan is with me, it makes me hallucinate. I learned the hard way.

Just a little FYI in case it does present with some patients.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.