Seeking Advice Reguarding Pre-EMT school

Hello, I'm looking for some advice/guidance/helpful hints/polite criticism/etc. as to what I can be doing to better prepare myself for becoming an EMT and eventually paramedic. Right now, aside from paying the bills with my job at a bookstore, I'm broke. I've researched what my area's criteria is as far as what is needed to become an EMT/Medic. The local community college has a great program, including internship, and all the prerequisites are easily laid out and understandable. What I meant about "what can I do now" is; is there something I can be doing/reading/etc. that doesn't involve school, aside from getting more physically fit and CPR certified (which is going to have to be held off for a little bit until I can get the funds for it)? I've considered the option of applying for a student loan, but two things are holding me back from that; one being that I'm not big on the way banks operate and don't like owning people money, and most importantly, two, I want to be able to be completely focused becoming an EMT. I know that you never stop learning in this profession, but I figure that making a whole hearted effort at the beginning is a good way to start out.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you are taking an educated approach on going to school. I highly suggest that you speak to a financial counselor at the college prior to getting any other financial loans. They can inform you that you might qualify for grants, loans, etc... Talk to EMS counselors or instructors. They might inform you on some helpful classes or pre-reading before classes.

If you really are sincere about Paramedic, then I would get a student loan. The costs should not be that expensive in lieu of any other junior college courses.

Good luck!

R/r 911

as an RN and Instructor I couldn't agree more. Why don't you get yourself a good anatomy and physiology text from the library or college. If there is a teaching hospital or medical studetn library in your area you could try there. A&P hasn't changed so it doesn't really matter how old the book is, but the newer book of course are an easier read and have good pics. Use your internet, my students use www.emtb.com as a resource and it is a ver well set up learning tool. Also, find out what meds are in your scope as an emt in your area, get a good drug book (CPS in Canada) sorry don't know what they are called in the US, and study your medications prior to class, you will have a heads up on every one. If you are enrolled, go to the prof of your class/course find out if he/she has any reading resources you can borrow and get a head start. But def start with the A&P that will be a great help to yourself. Hope this helps.

If your medic program qualifies as full-time or even part time, you should try applying for FAFSA, or Federal Student Loans through your school. You may even be able to get a subsidized student loan which has little to no interest on them. In the mean time, try to polish those skills that we all promptly forget after graduating high school, spelling, grammar, basic math skills, if you maintain or improve those you will be lightyears ahead of many students. Good luck and congratulations on your mature and well thought out approach to your career. I wish you the best.

I've heard good things about that Anatomy coloring book. It sounds like a kids book, but it's used by a lot of colleges. Maybe look into studying that.

Another option is the AP Biology Cliff's Notes. Has a lot of biology, but really concise. Can make it easier to take in stuff you learn in the EMT course.

You can get old copies of both pretty cheap on amazon.com or probably the library.

Also, keep reading through these boards. You can start getting info on the right mindset to take before you start the job, so you don't get too influenced by some of the poorer mindsets when you start.

dreaminrabbit88: The A+P coloring book will help you exceed what is taught in EMT class. I used the coloring book along with most all the other students in a military medical class I attended in the past. Find yourself some good quality colored pencils in many colors and go at it.

Medical Terminology may help you as well. Tabers medical dictionary is a good investment.

Sounds like you got your priorities in the right order.

Good luck to you,

Somedic