What does everyone think of this

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, having been born around the 24th week of gestation, I'm glad that they weren't considering this move in 1964. I was born at 4 pounds/5 ounces and had more than my share of difficulties. This was the first time that doctors 'lied' to my parents. I wasn't supposed to live past 5 years of age and even if I did, they didn't give me much of a fighting chance to survive. Now, at 42, I guess I pulled a fast one on the doctors!

I personally think that if the fetus can survive outside the womb at that point in gestation, then the doctors should fully explain the possible effects of the situation, but not be quite so ready to just 'pull the plug' and stand back and hope the end comes quickly. Just my thoughts on the subject.

part of the issue is the fact we are rapidly reaching the point of no further with premature babies, for many years 23 to 24 weeks has been the boundary of viability, and we haven't progressed much further in terms of good outcomes for babies delivered before 23 weeks ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.