IV Practice

echo-000

I learned to do SQ/IM injections as a CNA working for a physician who I worked for in his office. I used a sponge, but it was the very start of flu vax season, so I just kinda jumped in under observation, got over being squeamish about "hurting" someone else and went from there. I'm looking forward to learning IVs, and I'm VERY thankful that I know that my left inner elbow is a good stick!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we practiced on the fake arm one time each, then the instructor told us to grab a partner and start an IV...... we had to do 10 successful IVs on classmates, 10 subs, and 10 IMs within a week........... it was pretty crazy....... but the instructor said we could only take IVs in one arm per class in case we got into an accident or something on the way home and needed an IV...... then the next class we would take them in the other arm.......

we just started foleys last week...... thank goodness we dont have to start THOSE on each other...... i think i would be finding another school! :shock:

good luck!

i agree with :laughing3: .... start me a line of mountain dew anyday!

~Kelli

Foley's is that taught in your medic class? It sure wasn't in mine. I learned how to do them in my training at the hospital I worked at.

I won't even tell you what my first foley was on.

Foley's is that taught in your medic class? It sure wasn't in mine. I learned how to do them in my training at the hospital I worked at.

I won't even tell you what my first foley was on.

yes, we did IVs in our EMT-Intermediate class and again in Paramedic class...... then we did foley's in our Paramedic class........ I've helped with a few in the ER when we had to do our hospital rotations, but never done one by myself on anyone except our fake genitalia dummies..... lol.... talk about some looks from the people walking by our classroom.......

im scared to know what your first foley was on...... lol....... is it beyond anyone's realm of imagination? lol

IV's multiple times on each other in class, blood draws multiple times on each other, but no sc or im. Foley's thankfully not, but have heard that some programs do require it practiced on each other.

IV's multiple times on each other in class, blood draws multiple times on each other, but no sc or im. Foley's thankfully not, but have heard that some programs do require it practiced on each other.

yeah, some other medics said that they used to have to practice on each other........ i just dont like that idea, i dont know...... but oh well, i am thankful that we get to learn it...... i mean, yeah its not the most pleasant thing to do, but its to our advantage to know how to do it, should the need arise........ so yeah, im glad that our program teaches it to us.......

but some classmates i just dont want to get that close to..... lol.....

yeah, some other medics said that they used to have to practice on each other........ i just dont like that idea, i dont know...... but oh well, i am thankful that we get to learn it...... i mean, yeah its not the most pleasant thing to do, but its to our advantage to know how to do it, should the need arise........ so yeah, im glad that our program teaches it to us.......

but some classmates i just dont want to get that close to..... lol.....

some patient's I don't want to get that close to but we have no choice. :(

• 6 months later...