Why was this guy even in an ambulance?

Man charged with attacking cop and paramedic

By Megan Matteucci

Created 2006-11-08 00:30

Megan Matteucci [1] | Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 12:30 am

[2]

Ryheeme Melvin Simmons

A suspect in a domestic dispute faces charges he bit a police officer and attacked a paramedic inside an ambulance.

It was the second time in two days police were called to a disturbance involving Ryheeme Melvin Simmons, according to a Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police report.

The first incident occurred at the home of Simmons' ex-girlfriend, Yukarra Coleman, in Yamacraw Village on Sunday night, police spokesman Sgt. Mike Wilson said. Simmons fled when police arrived. But he returned to Coleman's home around 7 a.m. Monday.

That's when Coleman, 24, and two friends found the suspect hiding in her bedroom closet, according to a police report. Simmons then locked Coleman and her friends inside the apartment and refused to let them leave, police said.

The two friends got out and called police, while Simmons attacked Coleman, the report stated.

Coleman got away and fled down Bryan Street.

Simmons chased her and began fighting her. During the struggle, he grabbed her around the throat and stole several items from her pockets, the report stated.

That's when police arrived, but Simmons ran again.

Officers found him in the 100 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Although he was captured, Simmons refused to let officers handcuff him, police said.

Simmons put up a fight, spitting on and kicking officers, police said.

He also bit Sgt. David Owens on the hand and told the officer he had AIDS, the report stated.

Police finally were able to subdue Simmons. Police searched Simmons and found his ex-girlfriend's belongings.

Paramedics placed the handcuffed suspect into an ambulance, but he continued to resist, police said.

While on his way to Memorial Health University Medical Center, Simmons punched MedStarOne EMT Jeff Hennings. Hennings, 39, did not require treatment, according to hospital spokesman Michael Notrica.

Simmons, 25, was treated at Memorial and taken to the Chatham County jail. He is being held on charges of false imprisonment, burglary, robbery, felony reckless conduct, simple battery, obstruction, hindering an EMT and criminal trespass.

Owens, the injured officer, was treated at Candler Hospital and released, according to hospital spokeswoman Betsy Yates. He returned to work on Tuesday.

Jail records show Simmons has been arrested nine times since 2000 on charges ranging from simple battery and obstruction, to carrying a concealed weapon and shoplifting.

Source URL:

http://savannahnow.com//node/175169

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, first, why was this guy in an ambulance? I assume he was injured while fighting the cops. It doesn't say that but I suppose that's the best guess. Second, if he was handcuffed how the heck did he punch anyone? Were the police silly enough to cuff him with his hands in front? Was a cop in the ambulance with this idiot when he attacked EMS? This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I've had police officers give me patient's in handcuffs and tell me "I'll meet you at the hospital".

Umm, no, you'll ride with me in the ambulance, he's your prisoner, not mine.

"Oh, ok, I'll just take off the handcuffs then. If he gives you any problems just pull over".

Ummm, no, we're not doing that either.

Cops aren't giving us a hard time it's just that in some of our more rural townships there's only one officer on duty and he'll have to leave his squad car unattended to ride in the ambulance with us. Anyone else run into this type of issue? How do you manage it?

Ever had a patient with the cuffs on behind them on a cot?.... nope it doesn't work .. Why he was in the ambulance was probably covering the Police arsess.... and pysch patient.

Cuff each extremity the rail... and no Police rides with a weapon. I rather not get shot on the way, thank you!.... Taze them once and leave the barbs in... if they act up.. zappa a doo... dah!

R/r 911

Ever had a patient with the cuffs on behind them on a cot?.... nope it doesn't work .. Why he was in the ambulance was probably covering the Police arsess.... and pysch patient.

Cuff each extremity the rail... and no Police rides with a weapon. I rather not get shot on the way, thank you!R/r 911

Well LEO really leave their weapons to ride with you? And they do have to ride if your patient is cuffed right?

I'm not second guessing you Rid, it's just hard to imagine them leaving their weapon to ride, and if they must ride, because of the cuffs, how do you resolve this situation?

Dwayne

Guest CHP medic

I kind of see your point Rid, but our policy requires us to be armed when on duty and in uniform (exept at the jail), plus most officers have extensive weapon retention training. Our county EMS policy states if a patient is cuffed LE has to ride w/the pt.

Yeah, the idea of having a police officer remove their weapon just to ride in the ambulance isn't gonna happen. That's not something I'd want to even suggest they do anyway. Most of the officer's I know are issued Level 2 holsters and as I understand it the gun won't just fall out and is not easy to remove by anyone other than the officer. If you can't trust a police officer with a gun in an ambulance then they shouldn't be trusted with a gun at all.

If someone is violent enough to be handcuffed they are violent enough to be cuffed behind their back. They can be transported on their side easily. Now, most of these people are acting like jerks so of course they won't stay on their side. Oh well.

When we transfer from the prison the guards cuff in the front but the prisoner has on a waist belt that keeps the cuffs at the waist. Oh, and try telling the prison guards they can't carry a firearm in the ambulance, lol. Actually that's not a bad idea. They'd end up putting the prisoner in one of their wagon's and taking him themselves.

IF this guy was going to be transported by me, first he would have remained handcuffed, the police officer would have come with me in the back of the ambulance, and third:

if the patient started acting up along the way, he would have gotten 5mg IM versed in the ASS!!! I'm a big girl (300 lbs.) so if I have to sit on them in order to give them the shot, I will! Last time I sat on a patient in order to give them a shot, they didn't move, believe me!! LOL!

I try reasoning with violent patients, but if they refuse to be subdued, you've got to do what you've got to do. I don't like using chemical restraints, but if I have to, then I do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.