20cc syringe and an ammonia inhalant

buckeyedoc

Absolutely. This is more unprofessional, immature, and illegal nonsense that should have died in the 1980s, but is perpetuated by the idiots among us who believe we should always do what we've always done.

Pull any one of these stunts being discussed here on the wrong person -- even some harmless looking drunk girl -- and she seriously hurts you, what are you going to do about it? How are you going to explain why this patient suddently blacked your eye, busted your lip, or screamed bloody murder, alerting your partner and everybody else in earshot? What are you going to write in your report? Do you think that you will keep your job after this happens? Think again.

Good luck finding a medical textbook or paramedic instructor to testify on your behalf that they taught you this was accepted medical practice. You're screwed. As you should be.

DISCLAIMER: The word "you" in the above post does not refer to any particular "you", so don't get all paranoid and whiny about it.

Really seems some of the medics need to join CIA torture contact companys. There is no justification. They are either faking or you have your answer to AVPU.

It is sad that we have to put a disclaimer on all posts now.

DISCLAIMER: No actual disclaimers were harmed in the making of this post.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belligerent silliness ruins careers! Yet another example of providers with a self appointed "God Complex", meaning they feel the need to exact some degree of revenge against a person they feel is unworthy of their time. Healthcare providers must resist this with every molecule of their being.

Professional competent assessment and treatment is what you are paid to do, your job is to provide the best customer service possible including empathy and compassion even if the patient is "faking" or "malingering". If patient assessment reveals the patient to be "unconscious" then treat them as unconscious including admin O2 (consider orotracheal or nasotracheal intubation to secure airway) IV + Blood Glucose check, assess for toxic exposure or envenomation, ?CO poisoning or hypoxia, hypo or hyperthermia, stroke or MI, trauma, spinal injury, seizure then reassess. If they "wake up" treat them accordingly. Perhaps it is merely a psychological emergency but I assure you that being judgmental or cruel to those folks doesn't solve anything. Remember in an hour you'll be fortunate to be clear of the call but the person you cared for is left to heal physically and mentally and we certainly shouldn't make that process any more difficult.

Being fortunate enough to be entrusted with another persons care is sacred and those who violate this trust and resort to cruelty and malpractice should do the world and healthcare a favor and shoot themselves in the face!

My account was used by my partner while I slept and now I must apologize :oops: . I would like to apologize for his sophomoric attempt at humor..He's young and thought this was funny, not realizing that this forum is VERY serious for the most part.

I knew a female paramedic that would do a Texas titty twister to test for faking male and female patients.
..That rocks.. :headbang:

When I drop the ammonia inhalant in NRB, I don't leave it in there. Drop it in and within 1-3 seconds they 'wake up' and jerk of the mask. If they did not wake up, which has not happened yet, I would remove it immediately. I don't see that causing any more damage that when people hold up under their noses for thirty seconds or stuff them in the nostril.

IDIOT ALERT: If you work for an EMS employer who actually stocks their units with ammonia inhalents, you are probably working for idiots. This just one sign that they are clueless about the state of the art, and you could probably quickly find a dozen other things very wrong with that employer's practices.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.