Do you carry these on duty?

somedic

Okay, now for a story about the radiation detector. Its small, fits on my belt, and I pretty much forget about it. So there me and my partner are, in the middle of one of the most posh hotels in midtown Manhattan, helping a rather beautiful Italian lady who was having an allergic reaction. Now, the elevator we are in on the ride down is absolutely packed, with some of the rich and probably famous and good looking. So, I start hearing BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. I look at my cellphone. I ask my partner if her cellphone is going off. Nope. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. Finally it dawns on me what is going off. Very nonchalantly I nudge my partner and make a motion that our radiation alarm is going off. :shock: Standard procedure is to literally drop the alarm where it goes off, then get the heck out of there. Now I've attracted the attention of the other people in the elevator. I'm trying to figure out exactly how to handle this delicately, as screaming "OH MY GOD ITS THE RADIATION ALARM! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!" Isn't going to go over well in a crowded elevator in a posh hotel in the middle of Manhattan. I reset the alarm. It zeroes out. Thank God. It turned out someone had switched it over to accumulated dose and slowly over the few days it had been incrementing from normal background radiation. It was still pretty funny, all in all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.