Smelling Salts

Timmy

Just wondering if people still carry/use smelling salts?? What your thoughts on smelling salts are?? I’ve only heard of medics using it back in the 60’s.

I found a bottle of it while I was going through the cupboard at our station.

I’ve never used it nor seen it used, today was the first time I’ve ever smelt it lol!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use them routinely on people feigning unconsciousness...you know the type - just taken 20 paracetamol 5 minutes ago and is now "unresponsive". They work great usually. For added effect, take one nebuliser mask and replace the bowl on the bottom with the opened bottle of smelling salts. Inform the patient you are going to give them a little O2 to "help bring them round" :twisted:

still very much used today...morely are ammonia inhalants...

twice i've had smelling salts used on me...both times when i donated blood because i kept passing out afterwards.

ammonia inhalants we use for the ETOHs a lot.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Smelling salts are also known as ammonium carbonate, a whitish, crystalline solid ((NH4)2CO3.H2O).

* When placed in water, it is called "aromatic spirits of ammonia."

* Smelling salts are used to arouse consciousness because the release of ammonia [NH3] gas that accompanies their use irritates the membranes of the nose and lungs, and thereby triggers an inhalation reflex (that is, it causes the muscles that control breathing to work faster). One such smelling salt is ammonium carbonate (NH4)2CO3.

What the hell is a smelling salt? Oh, I didn't see that.. So that's what the hell it is. Still lost.

I have a bottle of spirits of ammonia, it actually smells like lemon oil, but it clears the sinuses. I fainted in high school from a fever, and the dumbass "nurse" used one of those crush inhalants. I would define it as an aeromatic punch in the face. Nasty, over-powering crap.. If you don't have an instant head ache, or vomit on the odor of it, your lucky. I was always told not to use them b/c they can trigger a violent wake up, since we can't diagnose the reason for their syncopy anyway.

Come one ZippyRN: Most people on here besides myself dont know what Paracetamol is. (The British version of Acetaminophen)

I take Anadin brand after Ive had late nights on the piss in your country. But your use of ammonia inhalants is good for the same type of patients here too mate!

Cheers! SOMEDIC

Come one ZippyRN: Most people on here besides myself dont know what Paracetamol is. (The British version of Acetaminophen)

The Brits use paracetamol? I picked up the use of paracetamol while in Central and South America, but have recently found that it is also the term in much of Asia. The Indians, Pakis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis, and all those other guys call it paracetamol too.

DustDevil : Look back on most of those countries you mentioned and you will see that Britian oppressed them like they did us. British terms still abound in these countries.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.