What to do with morphine?

Dustdevil

I guess I would find my partner tell him what was found and ask him if he has any ideas about how it got there and who put it in there. Keep it between the two of us for now and watch it for a couple of days and see what happens. I would record the serial numbers and check it every day to see if they change. If they don't change take one or two out and store them somewhere safe at the station for a day and see if anyone says anything about them being missing. If no one does leave them there. Outta sight outta mind, right?

Maybe give some to the headache lady in that one thread. Just kidding.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with AZCEP. Start documenting everything. Take it to the boss and go from there.

If everything you have is documented and is accountable to all records, I suspect it's been there longer than any of the current employees. Or, someone has some sticky fingers from the pharmacy. I'd also question what, exactly, is in the vials of what you think is morphine. I'd hate it if the bone head who put the stuff in the ambulance narc box switched morphine with saline.

So, Dust, hypothetically speaking, how did you...I mean, would you handle the situation.

-be safe.

Ahhh. How do we truly know that no one else knows of this magical morphine that just appeared. I mean come on, how do we know that management didn't put it there as a test to see who would find it and what would happen. For all we know its managements way of seeing how honorable and trustworthy we are. What happened to the last set of medics that quit working here 9 mos. ago. I bet they all got fired for stealing drugs when they found 4 vials of expired morphine in a narc box. Our managers our waiting for one of us to steal this morphine and go shoot up. This is crazy! Everyone is out to get us! :shock: :lol:

Seems like a simple answer to me... Take it and put it on the supervisors desk. Asuming that he is sitting in it.....

Things like how and why it is there don't concern me. If my supervisor wants to investigate that is up to him. I wouldn't have anything to worry about since i didn't do anything wrong.

Lots of ideas go through your mind when something like this happens, including:

• 1. Save it in case you come up short someday.

2. Save it for the potential "off the books" treatment you may need to give somebody someday.

3. Give it to a unit that really needs it.

4. Take it to the unit supervisor and let him take the arse chewing for it (he is the only person that can or would take a arse chewing for it. Not because he did anything wrong, but simply because the big boss screams and whines about any and everything, right or wrong).

5. Destroy it and say nothing to nobody, including the supervisor, so that nobody has to take a hit for it. No harm done.

• I wouldn't personally consider any of those options to be ethically OTT. The morphine isn't "stolen" or even "missing." Nobody's looking for it. It isn't even on the books. It simply fell through the cracks of the world's largest bureaucracy. There is no SOP for this sort of situation. Of course, there are some options that are completely out of the question, like "party time" or black marketeering.

And plus 5 to AZCEP. Sure enough, it expires at the end of this month. Hypothetically speaking, of course. :wink:

Any other thoughts?