What to do with morphine?

Dustdevil

"One day you decide that maybe you should go ahead and lock a couple morphines in the ambo's lock box "just in case." So... you walk out to the ambo with two morphines, unlock the ambulance and climb in. Then you unlock the narc box, which you expect to find empty, and you find a zippered pouch sitting there. A strange "oh $hit" look comes across your face as you slowly lift the pouch out and open it. "

Where the he** is Nancy Drew when you need her?????

I was thinking along similiar lines as Becksdad, is it ok using it for a CA pt. who might not have meds. From an ethical/moral point, this seems similiar to the scenario of stealing bread if your family is starving. Does that make you a "bad" person?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Becksdad, you are making a lot of assumptions about the situation.

I just meant that although yes, the situation you describe would pose a bit of a moral dilemma, the chances of this situation actually arising are pretty slim. So what are you going to do? Hold onto a controlled substance that you could get in deep doo doo for having just in case you happen to meet some poor civilian who is in a bind? I don't think that that is justifiable either.

And Dust, as far as I am concerned there is no moral dilemma here. The ethical and moral thing to do would be to turn in the drugs to your supervisor, and do the appropriate paper work, and put up with the subsequent bullshit. My suggestion earlier wasn't about morality, but rather practicality. We must presume that no one would get hurt if you just locked that cupboard back up and never spoke of it again. This is a test of your character.