Special Operations ambulances?

somedic

Hello everyone: The FDNY EMS has the Haz-tac Bn which is ambulances that are manned by trained haz-mat medics and they carry a certain amount of haz mat gear (PPE, antidotes, etc) Are any other memebers on this forum in a department that runs special ops/specialty/tox medic/tactiacl type ambulances? Im trying to develope a similar capability within our department.

Thanks SOMEDIC

Medic2588: To begin with, What kind of specialty ambulance/s are you working on? What kind of training is required to staff such units and what will you carry in the way of equipment?

Thanks for any help.

SOMEDIC

Broadly, the equipment for Hazardous materials decon is broken up into the ambulances which carry limited decon supplies (adapters, brushes, some levels of suits), while the heavy duty stuff is equipped in specialty units that respond when needed. Outfitting an entire ambulance with all of the equipment needed for even a small decon event would not be conducive to normal 911 duties, so limited equipment should be on the individual ambulances with the bulk of it on a specialty (non-transport) unit.

My advice is to plan for the events you'll probably encounter, rather than spend all your time and money planning for 'the big one'. Do a study on the calls your department has responded to in the past couple of years, and try to determine how many could have needed hazmat resources. Remember, Hazmat response is not only necessary when there are actual hazmats present, but any time there is the potential for a hazardous situation. Any tanker truck MVA, actually, any MVA with significant fuel spill, an unconscious in a greenhouse or a warehouse, structure fires, the potential for hazardous materials release is really endless.

My training was 10 (two weeks) 8 hour courses that encompased training in SCBA use, and scenarios in Level A, B, and C protection, didactics, and lectures. Some equipment we use are brushes, hydrant adapters, SKED's, garden hoses, Mark I kits, inflatable decon tents, and other various equipment.

I'm sorry I can't be more in depth but the Department does like to keep a lot of what we do on the down low, mostly because it cost them a lot of money to teach us and god forbid someone should learn something for free. Best of luck to you in your endeavours.

In my state we have a few big Merc trucks. There roll is HAZ MAT/Chemical Attacks ect, they don’t transport patients. We also have big trailers full of gear. But mostly HAZ MAT is a fire bridge matter.

Hey 2Leads: Thanks for your insight into Haz-tac. I dont think there is any other program like it in the country. Im always interested in what you have to say brother

SOMEDIC

I dont think there is any other program like it in the country.

That's because there is no other city in the country who got as much blood money as NYC.

Give me a few billion dollars and I bet I could do even better.

Blood money has nothing to do with it. Ths Haz-Tac program predates 9-11 as well as the first WTC bombing. Back when it was NYC*EMS they had a Special Operations Division that oversaw Haz-tac (Hazardous Incident Tactical Patrol) units.

SOMEDIC

Our rescue truck carries decon equipment and runs with the Hazmat team in our area. The county and city are setting up a hazmat medical team to respond with all 5 hazmat teams in our area. All team members will be trained to the hazmat technician level plus be ALS providers and have completed the Advanced Hazmat Life Support course. We are getting a trailer to hold our equipment including a hazmat drug box. The medical team will start care in the hot zone plus provide medical management for the hazmat team The process has been slow and hindered by poor funding but the county emergency management chief says he is committed to the idea.

The AHLS course is run by the University of Arizona and is excellent. I have taken it twice already.

And yes if you say 5 hazmat teams in our area is 4 too many you would be correct.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Spock: I hope you get the opportunity to attend the two week NFA ALS Haz-Mat Class as I have. You will realize the shortcomings of a weekend (here we go ZippyRN) cook book medicine course on haz-mat. Sounds like you guys are heading in the right direction though

Thanks for the info.

NFA will better educate you in ALS HM than some profit driven university course. I welcome any argument to the contrary from any one

SOMEDIC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.