ER Etiquette

AnthonyM83

I never mind, and in fact, I encourage it. But only if you have already gotten all your crap out of my ER and gotten your truck out of the entry way.

Only a couple of times in all these years do I remember some crotchety nurse getting nasty about staying around.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your education whenever,wherever you can! If the Doc is ok with it, observe for a bit. Sometimes you can help, too, but more often you can do this as a student during clinicals. It can present a conflict during duty because you usually need to get available ASAP. We have a Trauma Doc here that will gladly let you shadow him if you want (if you show interest and a modicum of maturity). He's a great teacher. Maybe you could find someone in your area also.

I have no problems with any field personel staying around and watching to see what happens, as long as they don't get in the way. If you are still around when it is over and have questions, feel free to ask.

As for Asys's comment, yeah, watch out for the Badge-Bunnies. They'll go polish someone else's badge just as quickly as they polished yours, if you know what I mean.

In our ER, it is usually very acceptable to watch trauma, as long as you are out of the way. If we have students or observers on, we usually stand them in the back, next to security. Also, the Chaplain is there, so they get to see what he has to get done.

Daytime, there are administrators there, so we are usually scarce.

As far as dealing with nurses, continued....

I find the male-female interaction very interesting. I am the old married guy, and most nurses know this. That does not mean I don't flirt, or joke with the good looking young nurses. Depending on the charge nurse, a chocolate bribe is not a bad thing.

At my part time, it is even more interesting at the two hospitals. The young, attractive under 30 female nurses will have very little to do with you, unless you are bringing in a trauma, or are a young, attractive, buff, under 30 Emergency Service worker. There are many badge bunnies, who run when a cop or hosemonkey arrives in the ER. It is funny to watch nurses look up from trauma to smile, or flip their hair.

At the other hospital, I don't think I have ever transferred care to a nurse under the age of 40 (except for the ones I am friends with). The young ones are always sitting, smiling, giggling. When a cop or a hosemonkey arrives, sometimes it looks like a meat market bar.

Ok Ok I've got a good one.....What do ER RNs use for birth control.....that is right their attitudes!

Now that I have that down on paper, and having worked in ER (not as an ER tech I add) the interactions can be complex traditionally with nursing there is a pecking order, the higher you go the more "tude" you may encounter but not a firm rule.. At the same time these folks can be under a tremendous amount of stress, so don't take a curt word or 2 to be a personal attack....! It is usually hopping crazy where I worked sometime politeness goes astray, water off a ducks back man.

If one thinks this is a place to "hit on chicks" or have them "hit on you" then go back to the Bay your not in the Bar....ps I doest work for me there either....lol.

The folks that are respected are the laid back dudes, one's that have a sense of humour and are helpful ie "Can I assist with Compressions" and "you don't need to ask to help changing a patients bed sheets" pushing a stretcher to xray or even (I am not suggesting you become a Suck Up)

Stopping by "later" with a box of donuts....this is usually very appreciated, "friendly follow-up" brings the best educational experience from the MDs...... ERDOC is very right "teaching" is ingrained in the MDs, but thats when there not trying to empty beds, send patients to floors, writing on charts...or get to the donuts!

When your on a "hit the wall on hold" situation with a non-emergent patient, have the junior member of the team go look to help out the staff, they WILL remember you, if you show your "wanting" to be part of the team it goes a long way.

cheers

Only a couple of times in all these years do I remember some crotchety nurse getting nasty about staying around.

Is crotchety a real word? :twisted:

LMAO @ Pretty much anything in my pants could be used as a weapon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.