Paramedic's tell me a what a new EMT should not do to......

I've been sitting here, reading all the responses in this thread, and I can't help but to wonder, aren't you asking quite a bit from a brand new EMT who just starting out in the field?

My God, you're all coming across as a bunch of hard-asses!

Is that the feeling you want this new guy to have? I certainly hope not, because we're not all like that, myself included. Not too say I'm a softie, I agree with some of the suggestions posted here, but some are just plain ridiculous.

It seems that those that have been in the field for a few years have forgotten that they were once new themselves.

MAGICFITZPATRICK, just do what you were trained to do, and strive to be the best you can be. That's probably the best advice I can give you. Ask questions, don't be afraid too, because all questions are good questions. You're new, you WILL learn. However, just because you've recently graduated from EMT school, don't get into the mindset that your education is over, because in EMS, education is an on-going, a life-long process!

I, for one, don't expect you to know everything the first couple weeks you're working, but do take the initiave to familiarlize yourself with where everything is in the ambulance. I think that's key. However, if I feel like you're not taking advantage of downtime to learn your protocols, etc...., I will be sure to let you know. I will try to do this in a non-critical way, so that you get the message I'm trying to get across without you becoming defensive. I want to try and form an alliance with my partner, not have you as an enemy. After all, we are partners, and have to spend 12 hours with each other everyday!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been sitting here, reading all the responses in this thread, and I can't help but to wonder, aren't you asking quite a bit from a brand new EMT who just starting out in the field?

Is that the feeling you want this new guy to have? I certainly hope not, because we're not all like that, myself included. Not too say I'm a softie, I agree with some of the suggestions posted here, but some are just plain ridiculous.

99% of everything that has been said is definitely NOT too much to ask of a new EMT. Most of it is actually common sense, apart from spiking bags, placing LA, RA, LL, and RL electrodes, setting up locks, etc, which are all extremely easy skills that I had down pat by the end of my first day as a Basic. Anything that has been said that really sounds outragous probably wasn't said with all seriousness. Also, I'm not really sure what feeling you are talking about MAGICFITZPATRICK having as a new guy. Let me quote the post he just made for you.

Im lovin this...keep it comming.

So, obviously he likes the advice that has been given, so why are you telling people to stop?

Clean the truck up after the call. Nothing is worse than catching a call in the ER dock and having the truck a mess when you get on scene.

You shouldn't ever come into the situation of not having your truck clean when you get on scene. The truck should be cleaned before you are back in service.

When you have downtime, restock everything you used.

This also shouldn't be done in "downtime". This should be done at the hospital, when you are cleaning the truck, BEFORE you are back in service.

Have a great Saturday everyone. Stay safe.

You shouldn't ever come into the situation of not having your truck clean when you get on scene. The truck should be cleaned before you are back in service.

This also shouldn't be done in "downtime". This should be done at the hospital, when you are cleaning the truck, BEFORE you are back in service.

Perhaps you should take it easy as well. Cleaning the truck after a call is sound advice. But in some areas just because you are not back in service doesn't mean you wont be needed to respond to a call as the closest unit.

Also there are some services that stock the truck with enough gear to respond to several calls without restocking. Where I work we don't have the option to restock at the hospital we restock in quarters.

I said clean the truck after the call, trying to avoid the inservice with a messed up truck scenario. In the ideal world, that happens, but I've been on duty some days where there are 5 or 6 911 calls holding. At that point, it turns into screw it, no blood around? Is the equipment that will be used in a servicable condition? Alright, let's go.

Not every service stocks out of the hospital. We stock out of our station. I'm not going out of service because I'm down a bag of saline, an 18 gauge and 30 cc syringe.

A few others that I dont think people have mentioned...

-When you start the shift, introduce yourself and make sure your partner knows you are new. Tell your partner what you are weak on, and ask him if there is anything specific he likes his partners to do for him on ALS calls.

-Learn how to be a good ALS assistant. Spike a NS bag, set up the monitor (3 lead), get a blood sugar off of the IV sharp (if your service does this). ASK before you do this stuff for your medic until you fall into a routine.

-NEVER EVER EVER make anything up. If you dont understand something, even if it is something that you probably should know, just admit it. It will be 10 times worse if you try and pretend you know something you dont. NEVER make up vital signs. If you didnt hear it, try again or admit it.

-Going along with the previous one-- dont let yourself believe that you know more than you actually do. Paramedics arent gods, but you need to be humble and know your limits.

There are lots more, keep reading. Great thread!

Well, I would agree that this topic has drifted considerably from the original question asked. Our new friend asked very specificlly what NOT to do. He did not ask for everybody's ideas of what he SHOULD do. Had he asked that, my post would have been much, much longer! :lol: But no, I don't think anybody is asking too much from him. As was already stated, the vast majority of what has been stated is indeed just common sense. It's basic human relations and has nothing to do with EMS. Unfortunately, the schools aren't teaching students the basic work ethics and people skills needed to function as part of a team, especially in a close quarters environment like EMS. There's another forty hours that should be added to the standard curriculum, right there!

I might agree, had the poster not specifically asked for it. He's interested enough in professional success to look for a leg-up on the process by asking for honest suggestions. Why would you sabotage his success by giving him anything less? It's not like anybody has criticised him.

Not too say I'm a softie, I agree with some of the suggestions posted here, but some are just plain ridiculous.

Like what? Which suggestion was unreasonable? I realise that you got a raw deal in your early days on the street by some a-hole partners and preceptors. Unfortunately, that happens. But might not you have been better prepared to deal with those people if you had some honest suggestions from veterans in the field?

It seems that those that have been in the field for a few years have forgotten that they were once new themselves.

Quite the opposite. Those people remember exactly what it was like to be tossed into the field with no practical preparation, to sink or swim. I think it is almost as impressive of them to share their advice with him as it is for him to ask for it.

MAGICFITZPATRICK, just do what you were trained to do, and strive to be the best you can be. That's probably the best advice I can give you.

Striving to be the best you can be means soliciting feedback from others and taking it all into consideration as you begin to develop your professional practice. That's what he is doing. As for doin just what he was trained to do, he was not trained on any of the suggestions that have been offered here. It takes more to be successful than just taking the very, very, very basic little training you got in 120 hours of EMT school and applying it. That doesn't even begin to cover what an EMT-B needs to function competently in the field.

Ask questions, don't be afraid too, because all questions are good questions. You're new, you WILL learn. However, just because you've recently graduated from EMT school, don't get into the mindset that your education is over, because in EMS, education is an on-going, a life-long process!

Exactly. But remember, there IS such a thing as a stupid question. Questions like, "What's the grossest thing you've ever seen?" and "Do we get half price at this Dairy Queen?" and "What's your favourite siren tone?" and "Where can I buy a badge?" are indeed stupid questions.

I, for one, don't expect you to know everything the first couple weeks you're working...

But wouldn't it be great if he did? Kudos to him for trying!

Quote:

Dust responded

Quite the opposite. Those people remember exactly what it was like to be tossed into the field with no practical preparation, to sink or swim. I think it is almost as impressive of them to share their advice with him as it is for him to ask for it.

I do indeed remember when I was brand new. My first 4 calls were as follows adult code, ped code, trauma activation and a TB patient who was active but we didn't find out till after the call. Needless to say I had to learn real fast. I do indeed remember what it was like ot be new. OJT is all I'll say bout that but if I had known or been told half of what I've read here I think that my first job would have been a little bit easier.

Learn to drive right and not the way they do it on turd watch, Rescue 911, and slaved

IF YOU COME TO WORK IMPAIRED IN ANY WAY YOU WILL NOT WORK WITH ME THAT DAY.

If you come up on a green light make sure you are ready to stop if it turns yellow.

DO NOT in the middle of the night assume there are no other drivers on the road. There are and they will hit you. If you get in a wreck in the ambulance with me in it and it is your fault, I'm gonna be PISSED especially if I have to take a drug test because the company says I have to.

Do not second guess me unless you are absolutely sure that you are right. DO NOT second guess me in front of the patient EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can make a informed suggestion but I am the one who signs the paperwork as attendant.

Buy me a soda every once in a while, I will reciprocate twenty fold.

If I say move fast I mean it - there is something I've seen or heard or know that you don't.

If you say move fast I'll assume you know the same as above.

Know your district, study your maps, study the protocols, study the ambulance study the studier. The more you know the more likely I'm going to trust your suggestions.

NO CUSSING in front of me or the patient. I'll do the same for you.

If you steal from a patient do not pass go, I will report you and you will be fired. I will also report you for stealing to the police.

If you are on medication that may or may not hinder your performance as an emt DO NOT come to work. If you do come to work you need to tell me what meds you are taking. If those medications may in any way affect your work then stay home.

Ruff, I agree 100%

I might add keep off your freaking cell phone while driving the truck code three or I WILL THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW!