EMS Treating Animals

DwayneEMTP

As cold as it may sound, I studied HUMAN A&P, trained in Basic Life Support for humans, not for fluffy the cat, or rex, the neighborhood cocker spaniel. If the pets need medical attention....take them to the VETERNARIAN. I'll be willing to bet a dollar against a dozen donuts that these people wouldn't try to take the family pet to some MD's office and expect treatment. Why then, should EMS be cross trained in veteranarian medicine as well?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PETA pisses me off. 'nuff said on that matter.

Wendy

NREMT-B

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

I'll be willing to bet a dollar against a dozen donuts that these people wouldn't try to take the family pet to some MD's office and expect treatment. Why then, should EMS be cross trained in veteranarian medicine as well?

Invalid analogy. Neither MDs nor vets [usually] provide house calls. We do.

If vets provided field care, you can bet that people would call them.

Invalid analogy. Neither MDs nor vets [usually] provide house calls. We do.

If vets provided field care, you can bet that people would call them.

You mean they wouldnt be called 'Animal Ambulance Drivers'? :-k :dontknow: :sign5: :pottytrain2: :occasion5:

I don't know if we should make it policy that we'll respond to animal medicals, but if we get there and it's bad enough, I don't see too much harm in trying if there's no alternative. I know 24hr pet hospitals exist in SOME palces, but say a dog has stopped breathing and it's already been a couple minutes. How long is it going to take the family to drive to the 24 hour clinic in their private vehicle? There's no chance for that dog most likely...and it can be pretty traumatic for the family (esp. if it's trauma related).

I know police dogs shot in the field are usually treated (best as possible) by EMS and I think I've even heard of transferred to an ER. Only b/c there aren't altenratives.

I know police dogs shot in the field are usually treated (best as possible) by EMS and I think I've even heard of transferred to an ER. Only b/c there aren't altenratives.

It's also a well known fact that if you shoot/kill a police K-9, it's the same as shooting/killing a human police officer.

It's also a well known fact that if you shoot/kill a police K-9, it's the same as shooting/killing a human police officer.

In what context? Legally, I do think they treat it similarly (perhaps in some states the same?) as killing a police officer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.