Intubations and strange positions

emtkelley

Last week in class, our instructor had us tube maniquins which he placed in funky positions to see if we could tube successfully.

What was the strangest position your patient was in when you went to tube them? What difficulties did you have, if any, and how did you overcome them or improvise?

You will find over the course of your career that you will be faced with patients in positions and situations beyond your widest imagination. As for intubating you need to manouvre either yourself or your patient into a position where you can introduce the laryngoscope appropriately to view the cords. This can be a bit disorientating, especially upside down in car....

You will find over the course of your career that you will be faced with patients in positions and situations beyond your widest imagination. As for intubating you need to manouvre either yourself or your patient into a position where you can introduce the laryngoscope appropriately to view the cords. This can be a bit disorientating, especially upside down in car....
Agreed. We actually had to do the "upside down" intubation in a scenario last night! It was disorientating but we soldiered on. I was glad to do this in a clinical setting rather than in real life for the first time :shock: .

Hold the blade in the right hand, face the patient, tube in the left hand. Everything is turned opposite of the norm.

Some people actually find it easier to intubate in this position.

the tomahawk style sounds like what we call ice picking. eg sitting on the dashboard and intubating from the front. lots of guys forget about bougies etc that can make things easier or even retrograde - but i guess its personal preferences. the trick is to make things as easy as possible - if u can move the patient safely then do it. i beleive "paramedicine " is as hard as you make it.

i beleive "paramedicine " is as hard as you make it.

That is the quote of the day, right there! =D>

Reminds me of all them wankers who reach for their window punch before ever bothering to find out if the other door is unlocked. :roll:

strangest position ? A lady who had her car turned sideways in a small tree literally ! (back end was still on the ground) Once stabilized, just intubated from the front. I agree with Rid that it's easier sometimes to go right handed, as it can help re-orient you. Way I remember it is the jaw goes down, no matter what. I keep that in mind and really helps keep me where I need to be.

Dust, glad to see you're still poking around here. I've been away for a while due to overload at work and multiple people out on medical leave. Hope you're doing okay. I love the earlier statement " paramedicine is as hard as you make it". We've all had calls and patients that kicked our butt, but usually is pretty true !

Stay safe out there !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.