question for the future

arolfsen

Sup ya'll. I'm new to the site. I've tried looking around for the topic, but can't seem to find it. My question is this:

I Start my EMT classes in January. I'm actually going for a two year degree in applied sciences (which will get me certed as a paramedic). I want to get some studying in before the classes start (i was a flunky in school, cause i had poor study habits, and am trying to remedy that). Are there any books I can pick up to kinda familiarize myself with everything? Should I go with a basic anatomy book? or start with something like symptoms?

I have a five year plan that i'm trying to put into effect.

step 1) get through the basic emt classes and get certed

step 2) gain employment with one of the two local companies

step 3) finish out my two year degree

step 4) gain employment with a local city/county police deparment

step 5) finish two year probation

step 6) gain employment with said PD's TRU as a field/combat medic

My suggestions is to talk to a guidance counselor and the EMS Instructor/Coordinator and they will assist you in a establishing an schedule of classes.

I would not suggest buying any books at this time and focus on your studies alone. You will purchase enough books in the courses alone.

May I ask why you are pursuing being a Paramedic when your long term is Police Science ? .. You might be better off going into that from the beginning.

Good luck

R/r 911

May I ask why you are pursuing being a Paramedic when your long term is Police Science ? .. You might be better off going into that from the beginning.

That is a MUCH better plan, in every conceivable respect. If you tell people you are a cop who wants to be a medic, it sounds admirable. If you tell people you're a medic who wants to be a cop, you sound like a wanker. And with good reason.

There are no full time tac medic jobs to be had, except maybe in NYC and LA. Even then, they utilise their medic knowledge and skills maybe a few times a year. The rest of the time they are just playing army like the rest of the SWATs. Consequently, your career -- and your career promotion -- will depend upon being the best cop you can be. They won't care how good a medic you are. All patches are the same to them. Concentrate on your career, and go with the medical hobby later.

And if you find a PD tac team who claims to engage in "combat," RUN! They're dangerous wannabes.

I have nothing to say about the topic at hand, I just wanted a chance to have my post underneath Dusts...so everyone has a chance to see my new tag line.

Only one person has noticed it despite it being up for a little while. Since Dust is old, I will make it very obvious for him to see it.

Or wait, maybe you were a cop and paramedic simultaneously, that would make you about 55. So who is the picture of?

Correct. The picture -- as well as those in my photo album here -- is of me, and I am 49, if you must know.