Illinois and NREMT Testing

I don't think the CNA analogy is entirely inappropriate. Many places still force people to be certified as EMT's before allowing them to enter paramedic school. Get your feet wet, come back in a couple years, and we will see what you have learned before we allow you all of the "cool" stuff.

I understand what you are saying, and what Tracyd was saying too. But the analogy is invalid as presented because you cannot "go back" to CNA school if you never went there in the first place. With CNA not being a nursing school prerequisite, it is not analogous to EMT school, which is a Paramedic prerequisite.

Now, you could make a valid analogy by stating, "What if you were told that you had to go back and re-take A&P all over again before starting nursing classes when you already took them once?" That would be a valid analogy since A&P is an actual prerequisite. However, for many many people, that is indeed the case. Most nursing schools won't take any science credits that are over 2 to 5 years old. A lot of people have to re-take them. I had to re-take microbiology for nursing school because my original course was 7 years old. No, I didn't whine about it, appeal it, or try to get a waiver. I retook the course and learned things I did not know or had forgotten. And I am a better nurse and a better medic because of it.

Tracy is right. The way the State of Illinoise is handling this transition sucks arse. It's totally ambiguous, misleading, and unfair to those in the system. Prospective paramedics should know exactly what they are getting into when they sign up for these classes. But, apparently the state is keeping everybody in the dark and then just ambushing them with the bad news later on down the line. The best solution to this is two-fold. First, the EMS educational commuity needs to hammer the state with both complaints AND constructive suggestions on how to improve the situation. And second, they need to make sure their prospective students are given a realistic overview of the current educational situation in Illinioise EMS so that they can make intelligent choices about the path they choose.

I am not an anti-EMT-I person. I actually dissent from the majority here who believes that the EMT-I level should die a fast death. If anything, the EMT-B level should die a fast death. EMT-I is a decent (although not ideal) entry-level of training. Certainly better than EMT-B. But that skill level should be accompanied by at least four times the education it currently receives.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This information is from Scott R. Ballard, District 23 Natural Heritage Biologist from Illinois.

>>> "Gerald Bozman" <gbozman@bop.gov> 10/18/06 8:19 AM >>>

Dear Scott,

Thank you for putting on a great presentation on October 17, 2006 at

Heartland Regional Hospital.

One question - Which Illinois counties did you say had native

scorpions?

Sincerely,

Gerald Bozman

EMT-B

Gerald, those counties are Monroe and Randolph. Glad you enjoyed the

program last night.

Scott Ballard

• 2 weeks later...
I;ve spoke with EMT instructors , they are frustrated with the test scores and want the state to enlighten them on where students need

work.The state employs politicians not educators,time for change!

As a fellow Illinois EMT our EMS has been fighting the battle for some time and we are starting to make headway. One reason for this "change" is because of test scores being the way they are but the more important issue is that the state "IDPH" used to do the testing. Since they stopped doing the testing funding for the EMS sector of IDPH has dropped and the state is now faced with running out of money for the EMS sector of IDPH. If this were to happen you would find it very had for the EMS systems to functions without charging the individual departments. If you do that in a state were i would have to say 65-70% of the departments are volunteer you were see the citizens in outrage. I mean we ask the taxpayers the help out in our town and you can pretty much expect a town revolt. We are not seen as necessary until we have to respond to your house. Then we don't get there fast enough. We can't win to lose. As it stands now the Illinois EMT test will be back starting with the Paramedic test in April 2007 followed by tests at all levels.

• 2 months later...

CNA is not a prereq for RN, it is a co-req. 4 year RN students complete the requirements for CNA license by end of the 3rd semester.

You must have a CNA lic, an education certificate from a nursing school, and NCLEX endorsement to be lic in IL.

If you are an RN in another state you get reciprocity.

ADN students, are eligible to get CNA lic. after the first semester.

Dust,

You have a chip on your shoulder, calm down. I admire your idealism, but it will not work in an imperfect world. Hold on your idealism, but remember you have never walked anybody elses shoes but yours.

Turn about is fair play.

Why has your EMT lic expired three times?

Why take an entire course all over, review is what mandatory con-ed is for.

Turn about is fair play.

Why has your EMT lic expired three times?

What in the world are you talking about? I didn't let it expire three times.

First time I had to retake it in a different state because there was no reciprocity in the 70's. Second time, I just admitted to myself that I needed the review because I had been inactive for a few years. That's what happens when you are critically injured in an ambulance wreck. And despite 20 years of experience, I knew that retaking it would help me to be the best I could possibly be. Too bad there isn't more of that kind of integrity in EMS. And I don't know where you get a third time.

And if you had been in the field longer than thirty minutes, you would know that mandatory con-ed is a pretty new phenomenon in EMS. It didn't exist until I had already been in about fifteen years.

And it's not a licence. It's just a certificate.

You need to do a little more orientation here before you jump in with such silly presumptions.

Man, I'm so sick of the "what kind of an idiot does more than is necessary?" attitude!

Bubba, unfortunately, you just labeled yourself a fireman...Right aren't I?

My apologies to the several amazingly smart firemen we have here, but welcome to the stereotype.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.