Illinois and NREMT Testing

As an Illinois EMT-B (IL Region 1) Basic, I am a little confused by some of the posts about the testing in my state. Until very recently IL had its own state test. We were told by the NREMT that the reason that we had to take the NR exam was that copies of the IL state exam had been compromised and or stolen and sold. I cant speak to the truth of this statement.

However, in terms of dumbing down, etc (and there have been alot of derogatory comments about IL Basics), my entire class of 25 took the NR exam and every single member passed. We used the latest edition of the Brady Basic text which did in fact cover issues of envenomation etc. If you are an outdoors-person familiar with the fauna of the state of IL you will know that we do have a handful of both venomous snakes and 1 variety of poisonous scorpion, so these are not irrelavent questions.

As for the status of intermediate level in IL...in Region one where I live and work, there are no intermediate courses offered. According to the IL EMS office, the state is in the process of slowly phasing out intermediate level training, but will still recognize those who have attained this level of training prior to the phase out. As to how they will handle renewals, I dont know.

Today is my first day back in the City after a computer crash and I am happy (insert sarcasm) to see that the derogatory and snide comments and posts still exist. Why cant we all just get along?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you will re read the original post, it was YOUR fellow Illinoisers that made the comment stating questions regarding envenomations was unneccessary for you guys. This all came out of YOUR state from YOUR top emergency service officials.

Yes your state test was severly compromised, most notably by the CFD. Now that the fire guys are not passing the NREMT test, the head fire officials are camaigning to get the state test reinstated cause the NR test is too hard. These are not our statements so please go back and reread everything.

The sarcasm that followed making fun of IL EMTs was hypothetical, referencing the "what ifs" of this watered down state test reemerging.

Do you see the point we are making??

Why on earth would we pick and choose what should be taught in an EMT class depending on whether or not the situation is in our area? It is stupid illogical thinking and it is being stirred up because basically the FD guys are unable to pass a standarized test.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/10...ters/119833.txt

State EMT test best approach for most

"I am both a physician and still certified paramedic. I spent the larger part of my EMS life in Illinois. I found the editorial sent to me, ``Addressing EMT certification deserves priority'' very interesting (OurViews, Oct. 2).

I just returned from speaking at an international EMS conference where this very same concern arose. The ``national certifying'' process is actually the ``average'' and is best used when any EMT may venture out of state.

I totally agree with the comments/concerns of the Illinois Fire Chiefs Association. There are questions that, if missed, would count against you (On my test all the questions worked that way.)and if you are practicing in Florida, they are helpful. But in rural Illinois, I had never encountered a coral snake.

I am more favorable to a state test. But if a person may leave Illinois, as I did, then the national test offers a ``basis.''

I keep my certification because I teach EMTs and paramedics, and in order to talk the talk, you still have to walk the walk. But I am careful for the jellyfish and the coral snakes.

Dr. Craig Jacobus

Schuyler, Neb. "

How can they possibly not see that this is not about coral snakes!! It is about their inability or unwillingness to learn 2-3 (guessing) more pages of text in a 9lbs book!

I had to learn about Flow-Restricted, Oxygen-Powered Ventilation Devices even though we were told we would probably never see one. It certainly took more time to learn than all we were taught about spiders and snakes. But it was part of the required curriculum, we didn't cry, we just added it to our brains.

It amazes me that not being able to pass is the only excuse they could come up with...I would have shot myself before admitting that.

I am sorry that the sharp IL folks we have on here have to be lumped in with the fire boneheads (publicly, not by us I hope).

Pretty amazing all in all...

Dwayne

Which is why it becomes not only a collective, but an individual responsibility to rise above "minimum requirements". Ask more, learn more, do more. Then share it. I might not be able to change much of the world, but I can certainly affect the little corner I occupy.

dumbing down the test - not a good idea

it's the same as the political corraptness out there where everybody wins and no body loses. In hide and seek there is no IT and in competetive sports everybody makes the team even the dumbass who can't catch a ball if it was put in his hands.

We've gotten so in to political correctness that if you make a test that even a moron can pass you will have morons taking care of you.

We've got to stop this. I'm worried that I'll be taken care of by the guys who required the retard version of the test .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.