NIMS 100, 200, 700

Its actually ICS 100, ICS 200 and NIMS 700. You can get these on the FEMA website: http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp

They're all free there. I must caution you, just check with your local agency if they will accept the online Incident Command System training. I know a few agencies that prefer you do these courses in person as opposed to online since you get more out of the in person class.

Devin

NIMS is a series of "courses" that are supposed to prepare many people, on different levels to prepare for disasters/emergencies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe NIMS compliance stemmed from 9/11. There are certain courses that certain people must have in order for an organization to be NIMS compliant. If the organization is not compliant, they will be ineligible for certain grants, etc.

You can go to www.indianacounty.org and click on the NIMS/ICS link, it has a pretty good description of what NIMS it, why it's a good thing (although 99.9% of those of us who are on-line think it's a major pain in the @$$), and the link to the web-site to do the tests on-line.

The training and tests are free to take online, but you may want to look into going to a training in your area, especially if you are unfamiliar with incident command!

I must caution you, just check with your local agency if they will accept the online Incident Command System training. I know a few agencies that prefer you do these courses in person as opposed to online since you get more out of the in person class.

Yeah...you get more sleep out of the in person class because they're so frickin' boring! :D

Obviously, go with what the employer wants. But if you can do it online I highly suggest doing so. I did IS 100 in a classroom setting. It was a huge waste of time. The online versions were much better and didn't take nearly as long!

These are now required classes. Doesn't matter where in the States you live and work. If your department wants access to federal funding then you *need* to have these classes.

So, take them and get them done. Good luck with it all.

-be safe.

I have to admit that the online version of the ICS 100 class bored me to sleep. I'm so glad that I was able to take it as a class instead of having to do the online version.

I took mine online. If there was a hot instructor for the course I'd probably would have made more of an effort to take the classroom lecture ..... :twisted: