Little chuckle on a bad call

strippel

I am glad I was not the only one thouroughly confused. I was going to comment when it was first posted but I decided to sit and see what others say. I am still confused by the whole scenario.

I now understand the AED response brings manpower, but the rest of it was too confusing or lacking in information to comment. I do realize a comment is not needed as the purpose of the post was to make fun of the cop mentioning narcan, however it does leave a lot of unanwered questions..just my curious nature, sorry.

For example, when you said "probably vtach", that confused me cause if you have a monitor, why is it probable...and why would you say probable vtach when more than likely it is usually "probably vfib".

But then you say there is ST elevation yet you are using an AED??

Sorry lost me brother.

Then he was called after multiple bouts of Vtach????

Oh well, I am destined to remain confused I guess.

OK.

First, that you Asysin2leads.

The patient was sitting on the toilet in a small bathroom. We did not have the monitor on him during his first "event". We had just arrived on the second floor, when he slumped over. He was a large, muscular, sweaty man, and it took a lot of effort for 2 providers to move him from the commode to the floor. He was unresponsive, but came to slightly when he was "thrown" to the floor.

He was in Vtach on and off. In the hospital, I watched the monitor (after our next call), and he was in coarseVfib/asystole, and was shocked multiple times.

To put the AED thing to rest.....

It is computer aided dispatch terminology for any EMS call where a person my be in cardiac or respiratory arrest. The dispatch provides ALS ambulance (BLS ambulance if it is their district), and police. Some fire departments also respond. In our city, we get police officers, our supervisor, and a fire truck.

The idea is simple. All police cars in the county were donated AEDs by a cardiologists office. It was decided they will be used, and police MUST respond, and have been trained to use it. We have 2 stations, with 3 (2ALS/1BLS) ambulances located in the city (plus others outside). There are 3 fire stations, with five pieces staffed, all with AEDs. There are 30+ police cars, all driving around, with AEDs. When a call comes in, all are dispatched, someone can reach the patient in less than 2 minutes. That is it. No more.

LOL that would be great, to have THIRTY police officers show up on scene, each one holding their own AED haha.

Thats a good idea though. I'm a big fan of having AEDs ready at hand like this. I dont like the termonology you guys use as it can -- obviously -- be confusing, but whatever works I guess. In my service we generally just tell our dispatcher that it is a confirmed code and usually we get an extra ambulance or two to help out with stuff.

the cop walking in and asking if they had dosed narcan yet.....

"you guys give him any of that narcan stuff yet...."

hehe, that still cracks me up - despite being confused.

I'm pretty sure i'm clear on it now - AED protocol, extra manpower - i get it.

that tends to happen with protocols.....even the users get confused sometimes...hehe

oh well, on to bigger and better things in life...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.