racemic epi

zzyzx

It appears that I stand corrected, do you have the link to the complete study?

For debate sake, this is a very small study of only 33 patients and with an additional treatment of:

All patients were also given 100 mg hydrocortisone i.v.?

This in itself after 2 hours of evaluation of PEF raises some queries as to the validity of the study, I still remain rather sceptical.

The conclusion drawn was: This effect was not significantly different from that of nebulized salbutamol. (but fails to mention of efficacy of IV roids in this abstract) with or without "anything" nebulised. 2 variables in a study with a proven treatment medication do you see where we can prove with this study ?

Just perhaps (HS Mangat, GA D'Souza, and MS Jacob) are looking for more grant capital ?

cheers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also pitted the nebulized magnesium sulfate against "serial" 2.5 mg salbutamol nebulized txs which have been shown not to be as effective as scoring the patient on the appropriate asthma or dyspnea scale and giving the appropriate dose in a breath activated neb (BAN) or an appropriate continuous nebulizer with appropriate doseage.

We try to avoid wasting time with severe asthmatics. If it is a feel good treatment for a "cold", then we may just do one or two 2.5 mg Albuterol txs before kicking them out of the ED.

By appropriate continuous nebulizer, I mean one that is meant for X amount of fluid for consistent particle size and nebulization efficiency. Inappropriate nebulization is often the problem when people dump too many unit doses into a nebulizer whose baffle is not designed for that amount.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.