Why Physicians Make the Big Bucks...

UMSTUDENT

Quick F/U,

I googled the whole Paramedic Practitioner deal and it seems the UK is working on that already.

A pilot study is currently being undertaken by Cumbria Ambulance Service to ascertain whether Paramedic Practitioners can treat and discharge patients in their own homes /at scene or refer patients to an area of care that is more appropriate to their needs.

It is envisaged that this service will prove beneficial to the Ambulance Service, Accident and Emergency Departments and most importantly the patient. The results of the study will be available in the near future.

The diverse nature of the Paramedic Practitioners training means that their knowledge, skills and experience could be utilised in other ways. Working closely with Primary Care and within Accident and emergency Departments are all future considerations.

It seems to be a course that current Medics can take to become a Practitioner. Interesting.

Quick F/U,

I googled the whole Paramedic Practitioner deal and it seems the UK is working on that already.

It seems to be a course that current Medics can take to become a Practitioner. Interesting.

I mentioned it in my first post. The Enhanced Practioner Paramedics have a pretty unique scope of practice. I thought I heard, and I stand to be corrected, that they may be experimenting with basic prescriptions soon.

You have to remember that UMStudent is just that- a student. Chances are, judging by the attitude that exudes from every pore of his posts on this topic that he is either a burned out premed, or a rejected med school applicant. You're arguing with someone who would be best managed by simply being left to his own devices until such time as he realizes that Rid is right and that we dropped the ball and that his attitude will get him nowhere fast.

You're an idiot. First, I wasn't arguing with "Rid." Second, if you would take the time to read any of my post in detail, instead of making half-assed assumptions, you'd know I'm neither a "burned-out pre-med student" nor a rejected med-school applicant. You obviously have no reading comprehension skills or you'd know that this thread was turning out to be a rather academic discussion.

Edit: Let me add that I did very much appreciate xcentrk's contribution to the thread, especially since he has valuable insight as a physician extender. One of the things I enjoy about EMT City is that despite many of our differences, we do accomplish much through out debates.

Yeah, I though it turned out quite well also, and I learned about the whole Paramedic Practitioner deal. Something I never even heard of.

The internet, while good for learning, is a very difficult way to have a real discussion. Things are often read wrong or out of context.

Thanks for the thread UMSTUDENT.

Later, Brandon.