Holiday Pay??

shade

:? This might have been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything on it. How does your EMS service handle holiday pay? Here is our situation: If the holiday falls on our day off- we get paid for the holiday regular pay. If we work the holiday- we get double time for the hours worked(you get paid your regular hours plus get paid your holiday pay; thus you get paid for the holiday and not actually double time). Just curious how others are compensated for working holidays. We are curious if we should get our holiday pay plus double time; that way we would be actually paid something extra for working the holiday. Hope this isn't too confusing and thanks for your replies!!!

At my job, if it's your regular work day, you get the regular pay, and day off OR if you work the holiday and its your regular day, we get the regular pay for the holiday and time and half pay.

are we talking statutory (bank) holiday / or annual leave

working i nthe ED our bank holidays are effectively rolled up into our annual leave ( 27 (short 7.5 hr) leave days + 8 * 7.5 bank holidays) - or you could take it on the day and work one less shift that week. if you work on the day itself it;s thesame as a sunday for pay purposes Base +60% .

holiday is usually taken in hours depending on current shift patterns etc.

Just trying to understand what you wrote:

If the holiday falls on our day off- we get paid for the holiday regular pay.

So you get paid your normal daily rate for the holiday regardless if you work or not?

If we work the holiday- we get double time for the hours worked(you get paid your regular hours plus get paid your holiday pay; thus you get paid for the holiday and not actually double time).

How is this not double time? You're getting two days worth of pay for one days worth of work. Am I reading that right?

If I don't work on the holiday I don't get paid (just like any other day I don't work). If I work on the holiday I get time and a half.

-be safe.l

It sounds like if your'e getting paid twice for working the holiday (your regular hours, plus standard holiday pay), you are getting paid extra for working the holiday? If you were to take the day off, you would be paid straight rate for the holiday. If it weren't a holiday and you had the day off, you don't get paid at all. If it is a holiday and you work, you get paid twice for those hours. Sounds fair enough to me.

Holiday pay at one service that I work at is 2.5 x my hourly rate. And the other service is hourly rate + $30/hour.

Shane

NREMT-P

Here's how it works: Holiday not worked = 12 hours of regular pay; Holiday worked=12 hours of regular pay X2. (To me this means we don't get any "extra" for working a holiday". A lot of the posts get their holiday pay PLUS time and a half). I.E. we get our regular pay plus regular pay for holiday. They push that we get "double time" as a benefit, but really we are only getting a paid holiday and regular pay for our working of the holiday.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.