difference

kyle308

That is part of the problem of EMS, is full of excuses. Sorry, I review patient care reports daily and see the poor spelling, grammar is non-excusable as well as a poor demonstration of the professional. One can only judge a person by their communication technique, and the way they demonstrate it. Don't believe me, go into the court of law when they have the run report enlarged 6 feet by 6 feet and see the poor documentation. Others judge you by what you say, how you write, and actions.

One does not have to have degrees, licensure, to communicate at a 4'th grade level. There is no excuse for ignorance and laziness.

R/r 911

Rid, while I agree with you overall... I think a couple things should be taken into consideration.

First, the kid is only 15. It is unfair to expect him to post with the same degree of professionalism at this stage as he is still a child and in the process of learning such skills.

Second, again stressing he is ONLY 15, perhaps your approach could be more appropriate for that audience as typically anything else will not be received, understood or learned. Not because at 15 a person is incapable of understanding but rather you must remember who your audience is and respect that. A teenager will not respond to a harsh attack.

Having said that... I do hope Kyle will take what was posted about 'internet lingo' in the best way possible, and make every effort to begin to transition to the world of adulthood/professionalism. There are only a couple years left and the sooner he does this the better. This is one of the problems with the abundance and easy access to technology. Kids are not learning nor being taught some of the skills in communication I think many of us take for granted. I work in a post secondary institute myself and the 18-23 y/o I see coming through my doors each day cause me some pretty significant concern.

back2topic.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think using the excuse "he's only 15" cuts it. A 15 year old high school student should be able to write complete, grammatically correct sentences with no spelling errors. That's fifth grade level material. Heck, that's second grade material. If this person can't do it now, at 15, in ninth grade, what chance exists that he'll suddenly come around and be able to do it by the time he graduates from high school?

What's further, if the basics aren't established and emphasized now, then this kid will only know how to write in "internet lingo" because that's all he ever knew how to write and no one bothered to correct him.

-battas:

I disagree with the notion that a 15 year old won't respond to criticism as you stated. I think they will respond. They'll either ignore it (a response in a lack of response). They'll either recognize that the person is right and take appropriate action. Or, if they're like some kids I know, they tell you to stuff it (in some rather interesting terms) and do it their way just to piss off the other person.

Also, you said you work in a secondary institute and are concerned about the quality of interpersonal communication skills of those you see regularly. Well, Kyle says he's only 3 years away from that. If he can't form a simple sentence correctly now, and no one calls him on it in an attempt to motivate him to do better, what's to say he's not going to be one of those kids who you see in three years who *still* can't write effectively?

Kyle,

You can take any of this any way you like. If you want to pursue a career in EMS this is certainly the place to be. You will find people here who are willing to answer questions, offer guidance, and support your decision to work in EMS.

Please don't take the criticisms on your writing too personally. But it's important you realize that "internet lingo" is completely inappropriate for just about anything other than an instant messenger chat window. By realizing this early, by motivating yourself now to write correctly, you will only set yourself to succeed not only in EMS but in anything else you decide to do.

I know I sound like one of those high school counselors who stand up in front of class and drone on about various things. I was in high school once, too. A lot of what they'll tell you is crap. But this kind of basic stuff, writing, reading, mathematics are important to do correctly the first time. And being able to do it correctly is key to doing well as a paramedic.

If you want to be a medic, by all means, go for it. We'll even help with questions you have. But you have to do the work yourself. We can't do that for you. We can only point out ways to help present yourself better. And I think this is the first step.

Good luck. Let us know if you have any questions.

-be safe.

I don't think using the excuse "he's only 15" cuts it. A 15 year old high school student should be able to write complete, grammatically correct sentences with no spelling errors. That's fifth grade level material. Heck, that's second grade material. If this person can't do it now, at 15, in ninth grade, what chance exists that he'll suddenly come around and be able to do it by the time he graduates from high school?

What's further, if the basics aren't established and emphasized now, then this kid will only know how to write in "internet lingo" because that's all he ever knew how to write and no one bothered to correct him.

Again...as I said to Rid...I generally agree with ya (both). My gawd if you could see what I and my colleagues deal with in the classroom and on campus you'd understand there is no way I excuse such 'ignorance' as anything but laziness on the part of the students, general educational system, and parents...with the primary target being the student of course. They are after all free thinking, adults who are all fully capable of taking charge of their own education and should not be shirking any responsibility of such on anyone else.

-battas:

Hey you LOL I like my 'Masta' title more then my 'battas' title LOL even if it may be a little Politically Incorrect.

I disagree with the notion that a 15 year old won't respond to criticism as you stated. I think they will respond. They'll either ignore it (a response in a lack of response). They'll either recognize that the person is right and take appropriate action. Or, if they're like some kids I know, they tell you to stuff it (in some rather interesting terms) and do it their way just to piss off the other person.

Ok...that was a case of me typing less then what was actually in my head at the moment (classic 'Masta' moment). Yes. By 'not responding' I was referring to exactly that: They will ignore in most cases...come ON they are teenagers after all LOL. And OF COURSE (for those that are going to bombard me with "but we aren't ALL like that" comments) I am making that statement in general exceptions not withstanding.

Also, you said you work in a secondary institute and are concerned about the quality of interpersonal communication skills of those you see regularly. Well, Kyle says he's only 3 years away from that. If he can't form a simple sentence correctly now, and no one calls him on it in an attempt to motivate him to do better, what's to say he's not going to be one of those kids who you see in three years who *still* can't write effectively?

I also addressed this in my last comment to Kyle but to further expand: the reason for the inability at this stage which you, myself, Rid and many others probably were capable of at a MUCH earlier age I believe stems from (in addition to aforementioned causes) changes in our world. It is technology driven. Our dictionaries keep expanding to use words that are slang but so commonly accepted they have no choice but to include them. I've seen 5 year olds with cell phones. Kids are constantly 'texting' (an example of one of those newly invented words) each other and chatting online rather then talking on the phones or even better...face to face. It is apparent that the future generations' ability to function in society is changing. Social skills are lacking more and more...not to mention conversational. Attention spans are dwindling. Learning/Teaching techniques are changing to accommodate these things (which for the record I totally disagree with). I'm a big believer in 'grass roots' style education. Get rid of the calculators. Get rid of the computers until the basics are known. Much like EMS... Strong foundational skills and knowledge are needed first and foremost.

The greatest philosophers were born in an era without the technology we see today! Why the heck do we need it in our classrooms!? And why (now that we have it) are our kids lacking in fundamental skills and knowledge?

All of that said (phew it was a lot too)... I think TACT is an important skill too. One that cannot be entirely taught, but more often learned from experience and years. It is not about saving someone's feelings, or protecting them from harsh realities. It does not have to lack in force either. There is always a tactful way to make a point with impact whilst not attacking a person. I believe you (and many here including Rid) are very good with this skill too.

Man...I think this is the first time on EMTCity where I've actually been involved directly in a debate! I love it! I feel like I'm finally part of the family. Thanks you guys!!

GROUP HUG. bighug.gif

see that's not It when i write on paper i write just fine, just something about typing that I seriously have to work on.

Cut him some slack after this statement? This is saying that he knows the difference and can write "just fine," but essentially when he is typing he chooses not to. If he truely didn't know the difference, I might agree to cut him some slack. Because he's not willing to put in the effort to make his typed word on par with his claimed written word, then there is no slack to be cut. I guess it comes down to motivation. If he can't take some criticism now that will benefit him for the rest of his working career, than who's to say that he'll take criticism in the working world.

+1 for Rid on this one. I agree 100%.

Shane

NREMT-P

Cut him some slack after this statement? This is saying that he knows the difference and can write "just fine," but essentially when he is typing he chooses not to.

And I agree too...if he CHOOSES to be lazy and not treat this forum with the same respect as a research paper, or formal research inquiry then shame on him. But then is it possible no one has explained the importance of professionalism in all correspondence to him? This is exactly the problem I see with my students up here. They come in thinking "oh it's just school, it doesn't matter" rather then taking this transition stage as an opportunity to develop their professionalism. And this is POST-secondary...

Personally. I detest most internet lingo. It's somehow very impersonal and aside from emotion expressions (like LOL) I really don't see how it should have a place in our general correspondence. Is generally accepted shorthand not enough?

Medical shorthand on the other hand...that has a place.

Hehehe... Don’t worry bout them man... they always wana put down us lol... Just cause were not paramedics with fancy diplomas and degrees. I know it’s hard I make the same mistakes and instead of people helping you with your thread they decide to give you a lesson in English lol!! Just joking guys!!! (Don't take this post seroiusly lol)

BTW soz man can’t help yah with your question I’m an Aussie so everything diff…

Take Care :D

Since the ratings of posts has now become a contentious issue for this demographic group I to would like to rate this one if the jury would be so tolerant;

+ 10 for support of peer and age group.

+ 3 for attempts at humour. (the correct way to spell this word)

+ 8 for International co-operation.

gday mate, and btw wtf is soz.....dude.

apologies to "MASTA" in advance.

-battas:

Awww...meanie! LOL

I see what you're saying. It's all good. :D

And of course I totally see what you're saying.

Sorry to effectively end our portion of the debate. I know you were enjoying it. :D

Spoil sport! I effectively wasted my entire morning in the office with this! Are you secretly working for my boss?

Ok:

And now back to our regularly scheduled program entitled "differences"

lol thank you, i will now take the floor. As you can see i can type in a normal sentence, and use proper grammar on a keyboard if forced to. believe it or not i'm in an advanced placement english class, so that right there says i can WRITe in perfect normal language. I can also do it on the computer im just not as USED to doing it on a computer.

MSN and TEXTS are the enemy of proper grammar except i couldnt do well without them.

back on topic i looked at protocols and have found out what i need to know thanks all, we can now continue our pissing match. :D

lol [s:82eaef8a5f]t[/s:82eaef8a5f]hank you, [s:82eaef8a5f]i [/s:82eaef8a5f]will now take the floor. As you can see [s:82eaef8a5f]i [/s:82eaef8a5f]can type in a normal sentence, and use proper grammar on a keyboard if forced to. [s:82eaef8a5f]b[/s:82eaef8a5f]elieve it or not [s:82eaef8a5f]im[/s:82eaef8a5f] in an advanced placement [s:82eaef8a5f]e[/s:82eaef8a5f]nglish class, so that right [s:82eaef8a5f]there says i can WRITe [/s:82eaef8a5f]in perfect normal language. I can also do it on the computer [s:82eaef8a5f]im[/s:82eaef8a5f] just not as USED to doing it on a computer.

MSN and TEXTS are the enemy of proper grammar except [s:82eaef8a5f]i [/s:82eaef8a5f]c[s:82eaef8a5f]ouldnt [/s:82eaef8a5f]do well without them.

[s:82eaef8a5f]b[/s:82eaef8a5f]ack on topic i looked at protoco[s:82eaef8a5f]ls[/s:82eaef8a5f] and have found out what[s:82eaef8a5f] i[/s:82eaef8a5f] need to know than[s:82eaef8a5f]ks[/s:82eaef8a5f] all[s:82eaef8a5f], [/s:82eaef8a5f][s:82eaef8a5f]w[/s:82eaef8a5f] We can now continue our pissing match. :D

I am now really worried about this.

I highly suggest either:

Proof reading and making correction of typing errors when attempting to remove doubt, or to prove a point.

Speak with your English teacher and have them review your work after typing, if you are seriously considering pursuing a professional career, and an upper level education.

Continuation of such erroneous mistakes, display lack of understanding and proper usage of the English language.

I do wish you the best of success, and please believe me I want you to succeed. Later in life you will understand my statement.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.