We need more people too dumb to pass NREMT?

DwayneEMTP

State moves to ease EMT shortage By Matt Adrian

matt.adrian@lee.net wrote:

SPRINGFIELD - Growing concerns about a shortage of first responders is forcing the state to fix problems with certifying paramedics.

The Illinois Department of Public Health promised earlier this month it will create a test for certifying entry-level emergency medical technicians by January 2007. The promise comes after groups like the Illinois Fire Chiefs Association complained they had been locked out of the process for two years.

"There may be times when we disagree on the strategy, but be assured we will only make decisions based on what are the best possible outcomes for the EMS community and most importantly the residents of Illinois," public health officials said in a memo.

The Illinois Fire Chiefs Association still believes more work is needed.

"It is a short-term fix," said Terry Mastandrea, the association's first vice president. "At least now we have a voice with the Department of Public Health and hope they understand that the fire service is a major stakeholder that needs to be part of the process."

The move to resolve the testing problems comes after a two-year period that saw emergency responders and lawmakers become increasingly concerned about the lack of direction from the state.

"We need a large pool of EMTs for our fire departments and ambulance services," said state Rep. Don Moffitt, R-Gilson, co-chairman of the Illinois Fire Service Legislative Caucus. "In these very troubled times, we want to be sure we have adequate numbers of EMTs."

The Department of Public Health required entry-level EMTs to be certified by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Critics of the national registry test argue the exam asked many questions not applicable to Illinois, such as how to treat scorpion stings and coral snake bites.

The national registry also costs more and may not be offered in a convenient location, said Bloomington Fire Chief Keith Ranney.

"There is some inherent inflexibility with a national system," he said.

Creating a state exam for EMTs at the intermediate level also hit a snag after a pilot test led to a 100 percent failure rate. An interim test has been created until a permanent solution can be found. http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/09...news/118749.txt

Hell...you all convinced me to get a two year degree instead of a cert....Turns out I should have just waited! Soon I should be able to become a Paramedic in a weekend....

This just frosts my boys....Who was brave enough to go public with the information that our people are so stupid they can't manage the NREMT/(P?) (it's not very clear) but we'd really like to hire them anyway...

When I get my AAS in Emergency Medicine will employers even notice?

Who wants to work with people that can't pass the NREMT? Who wants to be cared for by them? Is it just coincidence this is fire? Are hospitals and privates crying to lower standards as well, so they can find employees? (serious question)

Yikes...I've done a dozen posts about whiners...and here I am...this just makes me a little crazy...

Done with my rant...Now I see why you old timers are so stirred up about education....

Dwayne

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here we go.. admission from the chief, that his staff is too stupid to pass the NREMT/P (in which has one of the highest pass rate, for cert test) OMG how embarrassing, to have such representation that admitted, that his crews were to ignorant to study fr a national EMS test. Instead of correcting the problem, create one instead.

For all you new members of the profession, want to know what is wrong with EMS? ....there it is!

Amazing, no other medical profession gets to decide what to study and be tested upon, does this as well mean we get to test the firefighters on their test?... fair is only fair...

I hope those firefighters, do stay in that area. They would never make it here.. I do have snakes and scorpions in my area, and even the ocean is several hundred miles, we teach and educate on marine life emergencies as well... for we teach and expect our medics to be educated for emergencies.

I would love to hear and discuss this with this "so-called chief".. it would be interesting to really see his validation.

R/r 911

I think my head is going to explode. :?

I'd sure like to see that interim test that had the 100 percent failure rate though! :shock:

I wonder, was it really that hard of a test, or just a bad test?

I'm with you Dust.

Of course the intermediate level should be done away with, but that is a topic all on it's own. My guess would be that the test was written to one level, say I-99, and the candidates were trained to another (I-85). I can't really see how they would qualify for the test, but that would be my guess.

You've got to wonder how the Department of Health decided to allow the fire service to oversee what they were doing. What kind of lobbying power would that take? It would seem that the public is the major stakeholder in this situation, aren't they? The fire service provides inadequate service levels to the public, and they are going to decide who can and can't pass the tests?

This is a good idea HOW?

Huh?I don't read or see any of the mention they took the wrong test?.. I did read that the Chief describes there was a shortage, and they appearantly pushed some through the testing and got caught. Poor education and preparation caused them to fail.

Not knowing on how to treat simplistic and general medical care as scorpion and snake bite is unexcusable, and why should "they" have a special test? Again, we are throwing the bath water out with the baby ... and not affording the test, when most pay a hell of a lot more in union dues a month.. c'mon.

If theywere given the wrong test even Intermediate (whatever level) most of the questions are based upon the basic curriculum, and would have allowed many to pass even on that thought.

Excuses.. excuses.. that is part of EMS problems, instead of dealing with the true problems.

R/r 911

Boy am I glad I live in Alaska! I work for a Borough Fire Dept. that provides ambulance service, here we have a 98% pass rate for State of Alaska EMT and for the ones that opt for the NR-EMT (50-75% of the class) we have 100% pass rate, so obviously the test isn't that hard! Maybe they should study a bit harder rather then ask for the test to be basically handed to them in open book format! [/font:6d25d8eb94]

Boy am I glad I live in Alaska! I work for a Borough Fire Dept. that provides ambulance service, here we have a 98% pass rate for State of Alaska EMT and for the ones that opt for the NR-EMT (50-75% of the class) we have 100% pass rate, so obviously the test isn't that hard! Maybe they should study a bit harder rather then ask for the test to be basically handed to them in open book format!

I read this in the news the other day, and was ashamed I live in Illinois. It reminded me why moving out of the state is one of my priorities. Here I am looking forward to taking the National test when I'm done with class, so that I can get easier reciprocity with other states, and Illinois is wanting to move away from that to a state test. An admittedly easier test. Geez. That's gonna help keep Illinois EMTs competitive with other states. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.