EMT physical limits ???

bbrooks6401

I'm 5'2 and 113 lbs. I've had to work really hard to learn how to compensate for my size. On one of the first calls I went on, before I started building my strength, my partner and I had a pt. about 300 lbs to lift from ground level. My partner's a big guy, we went to lift on three and I got about five inches off the ground when I realized I wasn't going to be able to do it. He realized it at about the same time, he said the look on my face was priceless. That was a big wake-up call. I know that typically my partner can compensate for me, but that's not good enough. I started going to the gym daily to strengthen my core and submit myself to monthly stretcher lift tests to evaluate my progress.

My tips:

1. Strengthen your core. If you're not sure what excersises to do, find someone to show you. I also recommend having a gym partner, you can keep each other motivated on those days when it's hard to get out of bed. They're also handy to have as spotters when you decide to increase your lifting weight.

2. If you can tell it's going to be a hard, but do-able lift, take the foot end. The lower you are to the ground, try using the lower bar to allow you that extra bit of height. However, if you're new, make sure you're confident in the timing of the lever system and how to position your hands - if you're like me with small hands.

3. Take a moment to make sure you're ready. Don't rush to your partner's count. My partner's been doing this for awhile, so lifting is second nature for him and often he'll jump right to "on the count of three". That's when I say "Wait!". I'll check my stance, my knees, back, and grip and then say I'm ready. Either that or I take the count.

4. Know your limitations and don't hurt yourself on the chance that you "think you might be able" to do it. Your likely to hurt yourself, your patient, or both. Either you can or you can't.

I feel much more confident in my lifting capabilities now and my partners are also confident in me since they see me working at it and have seen me improve. This is what has worked for me, it's probably a bit different for everyone, ask around and see, but don't put off getting stronger, it's a vital part of the job description.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion is to strengthen your upper body. Where I live you have to be able to lift a certain amount (approx. 185 pds.)before you can even ride on the truck. I am stuck at that point right now, I have everything done and passed except my lift test. So I am now concentrating on strengthening my shoulders, upper back muscles and biceps. I am also small framed and my height is 5'0 which is a disadvantage but know that once I gain strength and know how to properly lift the machine the weight is on then I know I will get it.

BBrooks,

Don't get discouraged. My partner is a little wee thing and she can lift her share. With a little workout like others have mentioned and develop upper body strength, you should be fine. Don't forget about your legs either. ALWAYS, ALWAYS lift with you legs!

Another thing my partner does with our oversized patient's is take the head end after we have the stretcher raised. :roll:

BBrooks,

I am a small-framed paramedic ( 5' 1" and 117 lbs.) I have been a medic for almost 20 years and started when we had the old 2-man stretchers that had to be lowered and lifted from the ground. It took me awhile but I learned to lift using mechanics, as noted in other posts. Keep in mind that the height or weight of a fellow EMT does not necessarily mean strength. We have some big guys that don't have very good lifting methods. I definitely agree with working out. Squats and stiff- leg deadlifts have helped me alot, along with a good upper body workout. Our system requires that we are able to squat several different weights at three reps each ( we have lift testing every year, talk about pressure!), all the way up to 100 lbs. This might not sound like a lot to some folks, but for someone your size, it can be intimidating. Proper lifting mechanics should definitely be an important part of your training program.

Sometimes you just have to lift when you know you shouldn't. My partner and I lifted a 370 lb woman last week. I am 6'2" and 226 lb. My partner is a little shorter but is a muscle bound ff working part time ems. We were sore for days.

With two strong men weighing nearly 500 lbs together, this was still a dangerous activity. All it takes is one wrong twist or a loss of leverage and you are down.

Another example is an old classmate popped his knee out while twisting with a pt. So body mechanics is not just for your back. Protect every joint.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.