Expanded Scope of Practice?

SC MedicMike

OK I'll be the first one to say how devastated i would be if i lost one of my pets. And in the event of a fire if it was still safe enough after all my family was out i would try and make sure my pets were also. But $49 a mask ..... :shock: made just for animals :shock: .....am i confused or do we or don't we carry different sized masks on the trucks from neo on up, also cannula's and extra tubing...so in the very unlikely event that you should have to administer o2 to an animal why not use what you already have in the truck and save the donations for things that ems really could use. Which in this case i realize the donations were made by animal lovers specifically for that reason but maybe the fire dept could have stepped up and educated the community about how their money could be better spent on updated equipment to better serve the human population, and that the masks that they have on their trucks now will work just the same for their beloved animals. But what do i know I'm just a paramedic. :roll: :wink:

P.S Yes i have rolled as a vet on an PR ambo call

emtp

This puzzles me because I have scene o2 administered to animals via tubing attaced to a whole in a styro cup and also just by simple extension tube blow by. I think I will try this before I ask my ops manager for a couple of hundred bucks for vet masks, though I do like the sentiment that we are out there helping all living beings.

Yes, I like animals, (especially medium well done..LOL) and yes, I will offer treatment if there is no human injuries.. etc. I do have a big heart for injured animals, because they are innocent, not like the humans that usually cause events. But, to spend basically $50 for masks is ridiculous! I bet if you were to check that EMS unit, you would find it was lacking in equipment for pediatric supplies or even adult equipment!

I wonder how much money would be raised to purchase I/O needles or even pediatric masks or laryngscope blades?...

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.